Thread: Piercing...but what to do with the SMOKE??

Piercing...but what to do with the SMOKE??

So after falling into the PIERCING vortex....I'm now wondering about managing the poor air quality from this activity.

After getting some excellent advice from some (thanks Scott), I bought the NSK Presto setup and have been practicing on a number of things, but find the resulting smoke created by the burr "burning" through the wood to be unacceptable. Not only do I smell like a rack of ribs smoked over whatever flavor of wood I'm Piercing, but it can't be good for my lungs!!!

I'm very interested in what some of you are doing to manage this situation.

Thanks, Mike

The simple answer is the exhale the smoke away...but then try not to inhale it back !!! I use a fan. Mine is across the shop so I position myself so the fan is blowing at my back. I believe Molly Winton has a small fan over her shoulder doing the same thing. As for the smell, the fan will help but it's like going to a BBQ place, you are bound to absorb some of the smells in your clothes. Maybe a dedicated smock left in the garage...washed occassionally of course.

I love my NSK, too and my Burnmaster for pyro work.

What about fastening a charcoal filter from a range hood vent to a fan and place it near where you pierce? Have it so it draws the air in through or blows through the filter to adsorb some of the smoke odour.

Lloyd

Mike, I bought a 4" desk fan that I position to my right and have it blowing in between me and the piece I am piercing or burning. Works pretty good but eventually (after 2-3 hours of working) will fill the shop with a light smoke. I have a big ole Jet air filter on the ceiling that helps some but not 100% of it. In the nice weather, I open the shop door!
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

Thanks for the info guys. I'm either going to get a small fan, or move toe Arizona where I can do the piercing outside!!!!

I'd have sent pics of my work so far, but I couldn't see thru the smoke!!!

Mike, with the NSK Presto turning so fast the friction causing the smoke happens very quickly when you move the piece too fast through the wood. Don't be afraid to slow down and/or make several passes. I watched Bihn Pho piece a small cup at SWAT last year and he made several passes and there was NO burning on his piercings. Also the thinner, the better!

If you don't have one yet, get a small steel brush (toothbrush size) and with the tool off, clean up the bit regularly. I think I do this every 4-5th hole.
    -------
    -------

I tried piercing and what I did was use my wife's filter fan for working stain glass. It's about a 6 x 6 fan with charcoal filer on a low stand made to get the soldering smoke out cause it's toxic it worked great.
    Comments and Constructive Criticism Welcome

Haste in every craft or business brings failures. Herodotus,450 B.C.

I had thought, at one point, about buying a smokeless ashtray.... but I was informed by a smoker that used to have one, that they only remove the smoke when the cigars or cigs are in the tray. So that wouldn't "pull" enough to remove the smoke.

I like Harry's use of a 6x6 fan and charcoal filter.

I had also considered cutting a round hole in the outside wall and put a dryer vent in it with a pull fan assembly attached by a hose next to my work area. That would remove it completely from the building.
    -------
    -------

Here is some info on a home built fume extractor http://www.instructables.com/id/Solder-Fume-Extractor/

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Hackler View Post
    I had also considered cutting a round hole in the outside wall and put a dryer vent in it with a pull fan assembly attached by a hose next to my work area. That would remove it completely from the building.
    That's what I did when I was still doing stained glass work. The fumes from the flux were bothering me more and more. It helped.

I used to do a lot of power carving details on decoy carvings. I built a small filter box with a fan in it. I set it directly in front of me while using the rotary tool. It now sits behind my lathe for sanding. I found that turning the tool speed down and using a coarser burr cut down on the burning.

Cynthia Gibson uses some kind of air cleaner when she's doing pyro work in her studio. I don't remember what it was exactly though. I could check with her if you like.
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

In electronic soldering work it's common to use a benchtop fume extractor. They range in price, but you can get them for under $40. I bet they would be ideal for this type of work. Google "soldering fume extractor."