Thread: Any thoughts on what's holding this table together?

Any thoughts on what's holding this table together?

I really like this table I found on the Semigoods website, I might try to build something similar. But I can't seem to figure out the base assembly and the drawers. What are the drawers attached to?! You can see that each of the legs is in the shape of a "c", so is one side of the drawer is attached to the side of the "c"? What about in the middle of the table, right between the two drawers? I'm assuming there is a stretcher running from leg to leg behind the drawers, and the drawers are tied in to that, but what about the front of the drawers? Do you think they are hanging from the table top?

Unfortunately there are no pictures showing the underside of the table, but I'd appreciate anyone's thoughts/guesses as to a solid way to build in this style.

Thanks!Semigood-Rian-Desk.jpgSemigood-Rian-Desk-2.jpg

I've had the opportunity to draw up plans for a few different pieces of furniture as well as a workbench from various pros that do something similar with the drawers. The center drawer runners are attached to the underside of the top. Garrett Hack's workbench uses this. You can find an exploded view in the Tools and Shops issue from a few years back. I'll find the link if you want. In the case of Hack's bench, there's a groove in the drawer side to receive the runner.

In the case of the desk, the runner could be attached to the bottom of a rail attached to the underside of the top or there could be a bottom across below the drawer. The drawer front would hide it.

Edited to add: That desk has only one drawer which is relatively narrow. I'd guess there's basically a box filling the space between the drawer and the leg. Runners as above.
    Last edited by Dave Richards; 02-23-2014 at 2:29 PM.

Thanks Dave, got some use out of my FWW online subscription and was able to pull up that bench article. That makes a lot more sense now. I guess what was throwing me off is that I'm so used to thinking of the base (including legs + apron + drawers) as one unit and the table top as another unit. I never really thought to hang the drawers from the top itself. Thinking it through, if you attach a runner underneath the top, you just screw it in at the front and then put a couple elongated screws towards the back and that'll take care of wood expansion, and the drawer fronts will always stay aligned.

Blog Entries
    Chris its likely that they have battens between the drawers that are using used as runners. It's why the side drawers have an overhanging inside lip, in my opinion.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.