Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: a preview of things to come. :)

a preview of things to come. :)

My name is Form. I walk in the foot steps of Function because F.L.W. said I should. Shhh, don't tell. But when Function is not looking.... I dance in those foot steps.
    http://i1179.photobucket.com/albums/...ps5699a8e6.jpg
    20" tooth line x 5" under spine x 0.032". 9ppi x 8*Rake x 3* fleam. As soon as I get it sharpened.
    Opps. he looked. So back to work.

Ron,
    Quite a show piece! FWIW; regarding your opening line, I think F. L. W. clarified his thinking in stating "Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union." Not one at the expense of the other. I like that you are pushing the boundaries of art and function-I want your saw over my fire place!!!

Blog Entries
    It is a pleasing looking saw.

I would be afraid to use it for fear of leaving a blemish.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

"I want your saw over my fire place!!!" Blasphemy. They are made to cut. Besides, It may crawl down the wall and cut your mantle in half while you sleep. Out of shear boredom.

Blog Entries
    Gorgeous work Ron!
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

What, no pinstripes?

Wow! Thats a beautiful tool. After you sharpen it up and try it out, PLEASE drop us a post on how well she cuts. Man is that pretty.
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    What, no pinstripes?
    No pinstripes. But I am going to put a bead around the edge of one. This one was supposed to have the bead. But the cart got in front of the horse.
    Hopefully, the saw will cut as well as any other of my 20" saws. Here is an identical saw with straight back showing. Thanks for the compliments, guys.
    IMG_1250.jpg

Ron,

I didn't want to state the obvious but I think Jim K. sums up my thoughts, the saw is just so pretty!

Oh My!!! Tres elegante!
    Happy and Safe Turning, Don

Woodturners make the world go ROUND!

I loved my Bontz 20" backsaws until I saw this.

Beautiful work.
    AKA - "The human termite"

Pretty saw,
    I am also interested in the 9x8x3 filing and the wood you will use it in.

I just filed an identical saw the same. I tested it on a 4x4 yellow pine, end grain as in tenons. Ripped right through it. I put about 0.006 of set per side, as I knew I was going to be ripping the pine. It's meant to be aggressive for those big cuts. A 10ppi does well also.

A very nice,accurately made handle,Ron. But,I am not aesthetically in favor of filing up the back like that.The saw is becoming a "kitchen sink" design,where everything possible is gussied up too much. Sorry,but if you want the truth.... I do not like at all where the back is filed down just where it enters he handle. The back needs to be lower at the handle,and stay straight. I hope you accept my critique properly. It is constructive.

The workmanship is great. I criticize the design.
    Last edited by george wilson; 02-25-2014 at 9:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Bontz View Post
    Hopefully, the saw will cut as well as any other of my 20" saws.
    IMG_1250.jpg
    Well, I stepped in one there, didnt I? Didnt realize who I was talking to - thought you were a hobbyist, not a pro.
    Sorry.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”