Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Siberian Husky Pen

Siberian Husky Pen

The pen is white Corian, engraved on an Epilog Helix, and color filled with black ink from Laserbits
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Michael Doyle
    Wooden Pen Works
    45 Watt Epilog Helix

Blog Entries
    Cool Michael! Very nice. Corian worked beautifully for that and the photo engraving turned out really well.

Just a thought, but would this be eligible for SawMillCreek's currently running photo engraving competition?

Dave
    900x600 80watt EFR Tube laser from Liaocheng Ray Fine Tech LTD. Also a 900x600 2.5kw spindle CNC from Ray Fine. And my main tool, a well used and loved Jet 1642 Woodlathe with an outboard toolrest that helps me work from 36 inch diameters down to reallllllly tiny stuff.

I hope not David because if it does, I don't stand a chance! That's beautiful and EXTREMELY well done! Great job Michael!
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

and just in time for the Iditarod next week "The Last Great Race"

Nice work!
    Mark
    In the Great Northwest!

Trotec Speedy C25, Newing-Hall 350 (AMC I & HPGL), NH-CG-30 (Carbide Cutter Sharpener)
    Sawgrass 400 Gel Ink Printer, CS5, 5/9/x6 CorelDraw

Michael,

Thats a beautiful pen.

Now, tell me why you used ink instead of paint. I'm sure the answer must be obvious but for the life of me I don't understand. Is ink more durable?

Kieth Its the stuff laserbits sells Ink ? Paint?? They just call it color fill
    Michael Doyle
    Wooden Pen Works
    45 Watt Epilog Helix

Blog Entries
    Nicely done, Michael... come to think of it, I haven't been to the IAP website in a couple of months, at least. Time to head back over there soon...
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Nicely done.
    I'm making 30 of those right now.
    (not huskies, but the pen blanks)
    Sent out 30 more yesterday.
    I'm sick of drilling Corian..

Thats a really nice job...

excuse my ignorance, but what is 'corian' ?

Is it a type of stone or manmade plastic ?

cheers,
    Chris
    HARDWARE - Macbook Retina Pro - Toshiba Satellite - Epilog Helix 60W Co2 Laser & Rotary - Trotec Speedy 300 Co2 Laser - Gravo IS400 IQ Engraver. - Pcut CTO630 Vinyl Cutter. - Wacom DTF720 Touch / Trace Screen - GKS DC16 Sublimation Press - Chinese 6040 CNC Router
    SOFTWARE - VMware Fusion / Windows 8.1 - Coreldraw X6 - Trotec Job Control 9.4.4.2 - E-cut - Gravostyle 7 - ULS 1Touch Photo - BizzWizz Invoicing / Stock Control / Ledger - VB6 Pro - Mach3 - V-Carve Desktop

An all round doggone good job! I would enter that in the contest.

Thanks for posting your work.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Chris,

Dupont Corian is an acrylic solid surface material mostly used for kitchen counter tops. If you search our forums you will find hundreds of pictures of pens, signs, lithophanes and a host of other items made from Corian or various other manufacturers solid surface material.

That does look really good, great job!

Would anyone mind sharing a source for those pen blanks? I did not buy my laser to do this kind of stuff, but I find my self wanting to just "play" with them anyway and see if any of the products stick with my current customer group. lol
    Keith Upton
    Aerodrome Accessories
    Epilog Mini 24 - 60w

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Upton View Post
    Would anyone mind sharing a source for those pen blanks? I did not buy my laser to do this kind of stuff, but I find my self wanting to just "play" with them anyway and see if any of the products stick with my current customer group. lol
    It's not a store bought item. They are hand made out of counter top materials.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Blog Entries
    Keith,

There must be someone out there selling wholesale corian pen blanks with pen mechanisms that you could use. I am not aware of them though, never having needed any. A finished corian pen, ready to engrave, will run you $25 to $40 each depending on the design. Usually a woodturner will buy wood or corian or acrylic of some sort that has been cut to a wide enough cross section (3/4 to 5/8" square cross section) for a pen and they will turn that themselves. Or they will use a band saw or table saw and cut their own blanks to turn. If you know a woodturner in the area doing pens (many do just for fun, if not as a serious enterprise) you could probably get them to do however many you wanted at a better price.

Anyone out there know of a wholesaler for these?

Or you could become a better all around person and improve your karma by taking up wood turning yourself! <grin> Just sayin'!!!!
    900x600 80watt EFR Tube laser from Liaocheng Ray Fine Tech LTD. Also a 900x600 2.5kw spindle CNC from Ray Fine. And my main tool, a well used and loved Jet 1642 Woodlathe with an outboard toolrest that helps me work from 36 inch diameters down to reallllllly tiny stuff.

Keith

One of the perks as a contributor is that you can run ads in the classified section. A member is likely to see it and contact you.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7