Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Siberian Husky Pen

Quote Originally Posted by David Somers View Post
    Keith,

There must be someone out there selling wholesale corian pen blanks with pen mechanisms that you could use. I am not aware of them though, never having needed any. A finished corian pen, ready to engrave, will run you $25 to $40 each depending on the design. Usually a woodturner will buy wood or corian or acrylic of some sort that has been cut to a wide enough cross section (3/4 to 5/8" square cross section) for a pen and they will turn that themselves. Or they will use a band saw or table saw and cut their own blanks to turn. If you know a woodturner in the area doing pens (many do just for fun, if not as a serious enterprise) you could probably get them to do however many you wanted at a better price.

Anyone out there know of a wholesaler for these?

Or you could become a better all around person and improve your karma by taking up wood turning yourself! <grin> Just sayin'!!!!
    Thanks. One of my buddies at work keeps talking about buying his CNC machine... and I keep pushing him to do so! lol

As for turning them my self, I'm sure that would make be a better person... but not in the eyes of the wife as I spend more and more "personal" time on these things.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    Keith

One of the perks as a contributor is that you can run ads in the classified section. A member is likely to see it and contact you.
    Yep, but I thought these might be a massed produced blank type of item I could just go order. I can see a need to have maybe a half dozen of them for me to give out as awards or gifts on my community sites.
    Keith Upton
    Aerodrome Accessories
    Epilog Mini 24 - 60w

Blog Entries
    Keith,

If you can't convince your wife to take up turning as a way to remain in harmony with the universe (it really is a versatile hobby with lots of benefits <grin>) you might contact either Woodcraft or Rockler there in St Louis. Both are stores that supply stuff to turners and could probably connect you with someone local who could bang out however many Corian Pens you wanted.

Dave
    900x600 80watt EFR Tube laser from Liaocheng Ray Fine Tech LTD. Also a 900x600 2.5kw spindle CNC from Ray Fine. And my main tool, a well used and loved Jet 1642 Woodlathe with an outboard toolrest that helps me work from 36 inch diameters down to reallllllly tiny stuff.

Thanks Dave. So far I've managed to appease the Wife-Goddess by making here some wood veneer embellishments for here scrapbooking in the scrap spaces of my wood sheets. Not sure how far I can push here though. lol
    Keith Upton
    Aerodrome Accessories
    Epilog Mini 24 - 60w

Dave

It might be easier if he contacted those stores in Colorado, but I would run an ad on SMC.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Blog Entries
    Snort....Not sure what i was looking at, but thought he was in St Louis! Sorry Keith! Both stores are in CO as well though. And also as Mike said, a herd of folks here who would like step up to help. I would but until I can clear some company from my house I am not getting much turning done.

Dave
    900x600 80watt EFR Tube laser from Liaocheng Ray Fine Tech LTD. Also a 900x600 2.5kw spindle CNC from Ray Fine. And my main tool, a well used and loved Jet 1642 Woodlathe with an outboard toolrest that helps me work from 36 inch diameters down to reallllllly tiny stuff.

Blog Entries
    Keith,

Check out the IAP forums... plenty of them (us?) could supply you with Corian blanks. Full pens, if you're willing to pay for 'em.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

I love the work on the pen, could you please tell me or guide me to a picture of a Husky, and how you got it down to that size without losing definition? ps--I am also a Pen Turner and am really impressed with it. Amos
    Good better best, never let it rest, til your good is better and your better best.
    Omni Pro 3000 with 80watt Laser tube
    Gravograph M 20+

I have a couple thousand 1/2" thick sets that are cut and drilled for 7mm kits in my shop ready to turn. Been using them to make Freedom Pens.
    I also have a limited supply of 3/4" thick Glacier White Corian that I am getting ready to start engraving.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 02-24-2014 at 6:36 PM.

Engraved pens.......check out Chuck Stone's pens in post #10 in this thread.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...mount+rushmore

yes - the mt rushmore pen engraving... I just happened to be looking at that thread just the other day. What an innovative technique to get his greyscale.

Don Corbeil

AutoCAD 2000i

Very Nice. I like it for two reasons - one is that it is beautiful work. The other is that my first dog was a husky - love that breed!

Don Corbeil

AutoCAD 2000i

I'm a pen turner and engraver ... and I'm very impressed! Do you have special optics on your helix to get such definition? I feel like it's greater detail than I'd get with my 2.0 lense.
    New Owner April 2012
    ULS VLS 4.60 50W

Joel - No special lens, just a lot of photo preparation (and perspiration)with at least 3 programs.
    Michael Doyle
    Wooden Pen Works
    45 Watt Epilog Helix

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    Engraved pens.......check out Chuck Stone's pens in post #10 in this thread.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...mount+rushmore
    Thanks for the link, some rally nice work in there. But now you have me looking down the rabbit hole that is 3D engraving. So yeah, thanks a lot! lol
    Keith Upton
    Aerodrome Accessories
    Epilog Mini 24 - 60w

Don't blame me, I'm in the same boat you are. When I saw Chuck Stone's pictures I just had to order a rotary attachment for my laser engraver......cost me over $1800 bucks. There are others here like Chuck Sone and Michael Doyle who have uploaded pictures of their work that are definitely inspirational.

I have four pen blanks in my shop turned and ready to engrave, these will be the first projects for my rotary and all I need now is to prep some pictures but thats the hard part isn't it

Mike Null uploaded a lithophane he laser engraved that was pretty slick and it was the first one he has made.

I often load up my Laser Engravers Forum CD and just cruise the pictures to make sure I don't miss anything, thats how I found Chuck Stone's pictures as I missed the thread when it was active.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 02-25-2014 at 9:00 AM.