Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to Clean a Gas Fireplace, Glass Front?

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    I use this:

http://www.amazon.com/Rutland-Hearth...N%3DB00120NMNY

Burn them "hot", not how. It's applicable to the other tens of thousands of members that might read this thread with the same problems that are burning wood.
    Thanks for clarifying and the link. That makes sense and understood.

The Rutland cleaner is the best I have used. The fireplace is not properly adjusted if it has soot on the glass or in the firebox.

We have a wood burning fireplace and I have always used ammonia and water with good results.

Blog Entries
    Yep, Rutland user here, as well... received an 8 oz. bottle with the pellet stove 4 years ago and it's still half full.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Brasso... Smear it on, wait for 5 min. then wipe it off.. The tougher stuff will come off with a razor blade scraper.. I have used Brasso on wood burning fireplaces, pellet and corn stoves.. It takes the burned on black of the tempered fireplace glass..
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

White vinegar. Cheap, natural, no chemicals and it works!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Lassiter View Post
    Nothing to contribute as it seems you have tired about everything imaginable. I would think some of the things you have tired could actually etch the glass and aggravate cleaning the soot off. Smooth glass I know can be a pain ( I have one like your I think - and burn wood in it) to clean. It would make seems that anything that would slightly etch the glass surface would give the baked on soot something to grip to and become especially hard to remove.
    I don't know what you have but if you burn wood, yours is not the same. Mine is a Heat & Glo, natural gas fired.
    Years ago in a previous house I had an Earth Stove (brand), a wood burner. That had a fire brick liner and much thicker steel.
    The tin box around this gas fire place is maybe as thick as a tin can. Trying to burn wood in it would be a disaster and winner of the Darwin Award for the decade

Understood about etching the glass. I think it is more of a matter of baked-on build up. Last time I cleaned it, I made substantial progress but not perfection before I called it good enough because the progress made came with a lot of time and effort. It sounds like the Creekers' suggested a variety of purpose formulated products that work, plus a few alternatives that may work too.

My wood burning stove cautions not to clean the glass; normal operation will keep it clean. And it does.

I guess I would ask the manufacturer.