Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just a Thought....

Just a Thought....

It is pretty easy to predict the controversial topics...ones that will lead to pure sensless fighting. Why?

My suggestion which I made early in the thread was that all this has been discussed many times before and to just link them to the the old thread and be done with it!

Why engage in this futile dialog....life is too short and it is what we all see as weakness in other Forums....our participation lowers us to that level.

The bigger problem for me is it has nothing to do with woodworking! Long before any of these fancy new tools existed woodworkers devised , jigs and methods to achieve great results....put your effort into that....and then tell the SMC Forum how you did it!

I , for one, would be quite interested!
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Mark, I agree with you that it was fairly predictable that there would be a "fight" in the thread that you mention. But, as I said then, I will say again that there was new information in the thread. Unfortuanately, Ken had to spend time getting rid of some posts, but some of the posts that remain in the thread are valuable.

Mark.....I'm with you!

A lot of these topics have been covered many times. Unless somebody has some dramatically new information, the odds of somebody changing anothers opinion on those subjects are pretty slim. While we all have a right to our opinions, regardless of how strongly we believe in that opinion....it's still just our opinion. We all have a right to be treated respectfully regardless of our differing opinions.

I am sorry Ken was forced to edit and finally stop all posting to that one thread.

Now.......in 4 weeks of inactivity my wallboard compound has gone sour ....to the Borg and back to mudding the ceiling in the shop. Anybody want to attend a "mudding" party? ......I'd furnish some cheap beer or soft drinks....
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Ken.

!/2 inch drill, large mudmixer, (they look like paint mixers,just bigger),

1 ounce of liquid dish washing detergent, 1 round trip ticket

Newark to Boise. Have it waiting at the Continental gate under Swenson,

see you monday.

Per
    "all men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night....wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible."
    T.E. Lawrence

I think this pretty much sums it up. The name can be changed to fit the circumstances. Perhaps this could be flashed at the first at the first sign of a flare-up. It's one of my favorite cartoons, we all have a little bit of this guy in us, sometimes he just gets out of hand. Hope this is received in the spirit it is given.

Dan
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dan Forman; 06-18-2005 at 3:06 PM.
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

It might be a matter of balance`

Mark, it seems to me that part of the problem may be not the topic but the fact that it seems to be the only reason that some people participate in this forum. If their postings were both about product and projects maybe others in this group wouldn't be so quick to rise to the challenge.

At the same time, I wonder why some of those posts aren't just stopped dead. Are we consistently complying with the TOS? Specifically:

1. Direct Commercial Affiliation
    It is our policy not to solicit commercial advertisers. Thus, we
    expect our Members to adhere to the same policy. Posts made by
    Members with direct commercial affiliation, and with the apparent intent of using SawMill Creek for the sole purpose of promoting a product or service will be subject to removal. Members with direct commercial affiliation are defined to be those Members who stand to benefit financially from such a promotion.

Maybe we should encourage both F and E to create (and pay for) a Manufacturer's forum where anyone who wants information and advocacy concerning a particular product line can post and particpate.

Then we can get back to the subject of projects, problems, questions, (yeah and gloats ) that are MUCH more interesting.

Jay

Mark, can't argue one bit with what you stated! I also agree that, if there is some major revolation with a system, I'd be interested in seeing it. But, rehashing the same X vs. Y is getting old. We all pick the tools we have for many of our own reasons and it's only human nature to feel it's the BEST tool for those very reasons. Rarely will those same reasons apply globally to all users. As Mark indicates, MOST of those reasons have been hashed and rehashed on any number of threads here and at other boards. I have absolutely nothing against reverence to particular pieces of equipment, if a real "how-to" is included. NOT how this, that or the other thing can be "better done" with a competative system.
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Yeah that thread was a tough one, luckily for me I don't own either of those product lines... who knows what the future holds though.
    I gotta agree with you Mark. There are things I'd like to learn, and not through the "trial and effort college of knowledge" . I can prettty much make do with just about anything. I'd still like to know the right way though.
    I think that is why I enjoy the posts by Bob Smalser. His posts are very informative, and while the subject is generally building boats, he seems to be able to marry the joinery and the application in a manner that is applicable to all disciplines of woodworking. I seem to always come away from reading his posts understanding just a little bit more.
    Ken. I'd love to come help you. Unfortunately, there are two types of people that can hang drywall. Those that are good from the very first piece, and those that become very efficient at doing a half baked job. I unfortunately am in the latter category. Take Per up on his offer

I appreciate the great responses....for me the true value of this forum is the knowledge and friendship we openly share and that is not worth risking over debating some trivial features of one brand versus another. What I have learned at SMC is a great deal...from some very knowlegable members.....Not so much about what to buy....but more on methods and materials , technques...and this is really woodworking ....you really learn from doing....bouncing ideas off friends....even making mistakes

Many of those knowlegeable people seem to take the high road and don't enter these senseless discussions....

As friends, these are the values I think we should uphold, protect and cherish...

I don't care what saw you use.....show me what your making with it!
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Per.....I've got the mixer....I've got the 1/2" drill....(Note....I was careful not mention the brandname..... ) unfortunately for me the plane ticket would bust my shop budget. Thanks for the offer .......I'll just stumble along on my own.....
    Ken

I agree with Jay Knoll. I have noticed, but was reluctant to ever start a confrontation, that there are people that may have good intentions, but pounce on the opportunity to jump in on a tread about E or F. You couldn't be a menber of this forum for more than a week without realizing that both of these product lines are top of the line, but I rather hear it from a consumer instead of a sales pitch.

Richard

I agree with mark... we are supposed to be learing how to build furniture not how to market the latest and greatest tool

lou

Mark....I also agree with your last statement. I have learned a lot here at the Creek. I've said it more than once when welcoming new members .....there all here from Beginners (like me) to Pros all willing exchange information.....to lend an opinion.......all with the love of w/w.

Per.....I used your idea......I was able to regenerate the bucket of joint compound......so I'm just taking a break......for the most part I'm just "mud"deling along .......I just hate mudding drywall!!
    Ken

Seems like that everyone knows what Mark is talking about but me. It would be nice to know what thread is being discussed so that I would know what not to do. I must be missing something apparent. Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Bookout
    Seems like that everyone knows what Mark is talking about but me. It would be nice to know what thread is being discussed so that I would know what not to do. I must be missing something apparent. Allen
    It is this thread: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=21396

The ofensive posts have been removed.