Thread: dust collection

dust collection

any options on oliver 3hp cyclone dust collector

Are you thinking of the cyclone or the two bagger?

the cyclone

Compare to the Grizzly, Oneida, Clearview. It is probably the same as other imported machines, looks similar to the Laguna that Rockler is selling. Are you looking at it at Home Depot? The picture from Home Depot looks like it has a bag filter, you would be better off with cartridge filters. Doing some shopping, and searching for comparisons on this forum will help you make a good decision. Bill Pentz has a great website, which discusses how much cfm you need to keep your shop air clean enough to breath is helpful. Google Bill Pentz, you will find it.
    Last edited by Jim Andrew; 02-27-2014 at 8:29 AM.

Michael - I think you should either start a new thread, but before that do some searching on here and check out Bill Pentz's website for more information than you ever wanted to know about dust collection!
    Asking a question about shop vacs in someone else's thread about cyclones (two very different beasts) is what I'd call thread hijacking. No offense intended of course! Simple answer to you question - no, but it depends on your tools it's not going to fine dust.

Blog Entries
    Just my huble opinion to add to the ocean of opinion about dust collection.

Bag houses are common on large industrial cyclone separators but, for the small shop a cyclone and a small bag seem a bad match. I have to return my air into the shop space where I breathe. This means I need a very fine filter to keep from killing myself. Fine filters clog quickly in the absence of a separator like a cyclone. So, I have a cyclone to keep my filter clean and a fine filter to clean my air .

With a bag as a filter I would not want to return the air to my shop space. There is a good argument that a bad filter on a DC just permeates the air with fines making it potentially worse than no collector at all. If I could run the DC in an outbuilding or a lean to and vent to an airspace outside the shop, I would not put the big hit on my airflow that a cyclone introduces. A 3HP bagger will outperform a 3HP cyclone with other things being equal. If you can vent outside or to another room, go with a straight bagger. If you need to vent into your breathing space, go cyclone and a .3u filter of an appropriate surface area.

P.s. The footprint on that Oliver looks huge. I'd have to take something out of the shop to fit one in ;-)
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 02-27-2014 at 9:24 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

no one mentioned the EBAY cyclone sight . Found mine to be exceptional . Though only one I have used ,hooked to a 1 1/2 collector .mine also vents outside .not have a filter or bag increases suction a noticable amount

Just checked out Ebay for cyclone dust collector, the Baileigh, shop fox and Grizzly seem to all be the same machine as the Oliver, guess which one costs least? The shop fox has 2 filters, and is only a few dollars more then the Grizzly. The 3hp has a 14.5" impeller.

I have the Grizzly 3 hp cyclone. It really sucks (in a good way). One thing I really like about it is that there is a cartridge cleaning brush inside that works pretty well by pulling on a cable outside the cartridge, which moves a brush up or down between the filter pleats. It works well enough that sometimes if I have been doing a lot of sanding and there is a lot of dust in the air, I'll open up 2 or 3 blast gates and turn on the cyclone for 10-15 min. Its amazing to see how fast the large and small particle counts fall in the shop (according to an electronic particle counter).