Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Engraving Samsung Tablet

Question Engraving Samsung Tablet

Does anyone know if you can laser engrave the back of a Samsung tablet (like the Galaxy or Note)? The back is plastic but I'm guessing there won't be much contrast...has anyone done this before?
    Epilog 35 Watt Mini 12" x 24"
    New Hermes V3400
    Kwikprint 55
    CorelDraw 2017, Illustrator, Photoshop

tab2.jpgtab1.jpgYour right not much contrast, just the usual white on silver but still worth it
    I have a pic but i need to make it smaller before posting
    Last edited by vic casware; 02-25-2014 at 4:46 PM. Reason: pic added
    Epilog Helix 50W, Epilog Fusion 40 75W, Tekcel Router, Taylor Hobson Model D & K
    Dalgren 2516i, Epilog Fusion Pro 120W

I don't do electronics any more, just removable cases. While it's not going to hurt the insides, I'd get blamed if it stops working a week or two later. That, and every time you do a new brand/model the settings may vary, and you can't show samples of what it looks like unless you have done the exact same one before. Once engraved, if they don't like it, you can't un-engrave it.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

"While it's not going to hurt the insides, [don't blame me] if it stops working a week or two later. That, and every time you do a new brand/model the settings may vary, and [I] can't show samples of what it looks like [because I haven't] done the exact same one before. Once engraved, if [you] don't like it, [I] can't un-engrave it"

Pretty much what I tell anyone with something weird they want engraved before I engrave it. Most times I get lucky, and nobody's ever gotten mad when I didn't...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Vic, is that a metal backing or plastic? It looks like aluminum to me. This customer says her backing is plastic that's why I'm a little concerned about engraving it.
    New Hermes V3400
    Kwikprint 55

Not the best etch. Ive engraved a few Samsung devices including different versions of the Galaxy tabs. They all had a white plastic backing that etched an inconsistent orange. I was never able to get a good etch out of them.
    Trotec Speedy 300 x 4
    Trotec Speedy 300 Fiber
    Mimaki Direct to Printer x 4

It is definitely Aluminum on mine. It is a 1 year old Tab2 10.1 and my name on the first pic
    i used the wrong font and settings (should have checked twice and ran once)
    Epilog Helix 50W, Epilog Fusion 40 75W, Tekcel Router, Taylor Hobson Model D & K
    Dalgren 2516i, Epilog Fusion Pro 120W

Ok, thanks for the info. I think I may advise the customer against this, seems to risky. I've engraved a couple iPods before but at least they have aluminum on the back, I'm definitely more leary of plastic.
    New Hermes V3400
    Kwikprint 55

So is the Galaxy Tab3 plastic backing engravable or not?
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

I agree. I don't like doing phone only cases. I am stocking cases now for just that reason. I don't want to get blamed. Also explain to your customer that if they wan't to trade it in or sell it in the future, the person you are selling it to, may not be keen on that engrave that you thought was way cool, but may not be to the next user.

I've always wanted to try engraving either my Macbook or my iphone. I just went through a huge fiasco with my iphone. Luckily, I purchased a warranty through Square Trade. I had to go to the Apple store and trade in my old phone for a new re-manufactured (NOT refurbished according to Apple) iphone. I asked both Square Trade and Apple if engraving the phone or my laptop would cancel my warranty, and apparently it does. My kids have been asking me to engrave their gadgets and their friend's as well. If I were to get into that business, I would have the customer sign an informed consent about the warranty.
    Epilog Helix 45 watt
    Wacom Tablet
    Corel X7 Subscription
    Mac Book Pro running Windows via VMware Fusion

Blog Entries
    Mary,

I wonder how Apple is squaring this with the fact that when you buy your iPhone or iPad you can pay them to engrave it for you? I love warrantees. <grin>

Dave
    900x600 80watt EFR Tube laser from Liaocheng Ray Fine Tech LTD. Also a 900x600 2.5kw spindle CNC from Ray Fine. And my main tool, a well used and loved Jet 1642 Woodlathe with an outboard toolrest that helps me work from 36 inch diameters down to reallllllly tiny stuff.

Dave, I think I need to ask that question. I'll bet ya anything that those would be the phones they would use for parts if returned; meaning the ones they engrave.
    Epilog Helix 45 watt
    Wacom Tablet
    Corel X7 Subscription
    Mac Book Pro running Windows via VMware Fusion

Quote Originally Posted by Mary Geitz View Post
    I asked both Square Trade and Apple if engraving the phone or my laptop would cancel my warranty, and apparently it does.
    I would ask them to show you the part of their warranty that specifically voids the warranty for engraving, especially since they engrave them! I think you'll get a different answer when you ask them to provide you with that info.

I've done both aluminum and plastic, The only difference is the plastic needs to be color filled. But both come out very nice
    Brian Saban

Epilog Laser Mini 24/40w, Quattro air filtration system
    Makerbot Replicator 2 3D Printer
    X-Carve CNC 1000
    Vacuum Former Table
    And to much more fun stuff in the shop to list