Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Neanderthal tool kit

First Neanderthal tool kit

Popular woodworking today posted an article referring to Frank Klausz's 2006 article "Your First Tool Kit"

From a hand tool perspective, I'm not too far from his list. I'm curious what the more experienced here might recommend for a beginners tool kit. Maybe a sharp stone and a piece of knotted twine?

I'd be especially curious about recommendations for a hand tools for a basic hybrid shop that has a table or band saw, jointer and planner. I think many people out there are like me and pick up hand tools after working wood in a power shop.
    -- Dan Rode

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle

Daniel,
    I'm glad you mentioned that piece. I thought of a lot of the discussions recently concerning "kit". It seemed that when The Anarchist's Tool Chest came out that most folks would have simply gone with that. This list easily pares it down to essentials. I built up a collection within a short period, but wish I had a good list to follow.
    Maurice

Blog Entries
    I'd be especially curious about recommendations for a hand tools for a basic hybrid shop that has a table or band saw, jointer and planner. I think many people out there are like me and pick up hand tools after working wood in a power shop.
    My woodworking started with a hand saw and a hammer. I did go buy some sandpaper and make a sanding block. Most of the time I didn't have the room or money for power tools. I did get a gift certificate from work that was used to buy a random orbital sander, a circular saw and a reciprocating saw. The sander died and was replaced. The sander is about the only one of those used anymore.

My wife bought me a router as a gift. It is seldom used these days. It makes too much noise and is a little scary at times.

I have almost no experience using power tools. The only stand up power tools in my shop are a lathe, bandsaw and a drill press.

A shop with all the mentioned machines could likely get by with just a few hand tools. A smoothing plane, block plane, a set of chisels and a mallet would be a good start.

My neighbor's house is maybe 100' or less from my shop. I don't think they can hear me running my jointer plane over a board. I am sure they would hear a board being run over a jointer.

I sometime like to work in my shop late at night. Power tools are a bit too noisy if one respects their neighbors right to a peaceful nights sleep.

A bandsaw isn't all that noisy. A table saw needs ear protection.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 02-25-2014 at 4:01 PM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    This list easily pares it down to essentials. I built up a collection within a short period, but wish I had a good list to follow.
    The best list to follow is the list of things needed to finish the projects one wants to build.

In my case I have also bought a lot of tools for the things I dream of building. I have more than I really need, but having the choice is enjoyable.

Besides most of the time when making a purchase of an old tool my first thought is can it be sold for at least what it is being paid.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    The best list to follow is the list of things needed to finish the projects one wants to build.

In my case I have also bought a lot of tools for the things I dream of building. I have more than I really need, but having the choice is enjoyable.

Besides most of the time when making a purchase of an old tool my first thought is can it be sold for at least what it is being paid.

jtk
    This could have been posted by me- dead match.

There was a similar list posted by Christopher Schwarz, which mentioned a Japanese-made hammer nicknamed ``Mr. Yamaguchi'' --- anyone have a link?

This one, maybe? http://www.popularwoodworking.com/te...ther-tool-list
    Quote Originally Posted by William Adams View Post
    There was a similar list posted by Christopher Schwarz, which mentioned a Japanese-made hammer nicknamed ``Mr. Yamaguchi'' --- anyone have a link?
    -- Dan Rode

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle

It wasn't Chris, it was me. I can never remember SMC policy about links, but if you go to the Popular Woodworking Editor's blog and search on "Confusing the Beginners" you should find it.

Bob Lang

Thank you for the correction, and the link!

My apologies for mis-remembering the name (but that explains why I couldn't find it).

Much appreciated.

Jim Koepke is right.

I am 19 now, in no way I can be called "experienced", but having a lot of hours per day to spend in woodworking, I have learned some things in the years I've been doing this. Also watching people doing woodworking both on Youtube and in real life helped, and coming from the countryside I have had some familiarity with hand work since I was a kid.
    My first tools were a #4 Record plane and a blunt hardware store chisel. I then bought a hardpoint stanley saw and a Tyzack backsaw from eBay, some antique chisels, a brace drill with some bits and other various tools.
    I had very little money, so I got the cheapest, oldest, dirtiest tools I could find but they have shown to be the best once restored and at first I made some simple projects with them, including a chest to store my tools in since my workshop consisted in a metal sheet on some posts, buying more tools as I was approaching more difficult jobs.
    Also when I could I made some of the tools, like squares, which are really simple to make and easy to check for squareness, or marking gouges: it is such a simple tool that you can make your own and it will work great, or mallets.

I don't rely at all on the "academic" side of woodworking: I would never buy a book written by Christopher Schwarz. I don't believe anyone needs to spend money on things like that.
    Starting every new project will tell you if you need a new tool to complete it, and making more complicated projects will require more dedicated tools, so you will find your way by yourself.
    There is plenty of information on the internet on how to set up your workshop. Just study what other people have done before you, try to see how they did what you want to do, see the tools in action, try to understand how to use them, and you'll realize what is the correct way to do things without having to follow the advice of just one person.

After all, I think that's how apprenticeship has worked in the past centuries: I am pretty jealous of my woodworking knowledge, and I think that was the same for the masters back in the days. So a master would never teach his apprentices everything: they were just additional manpower with no skill and they had to watch him and understand by themselves what the tricks were.
    That's how you realize if you are good at woodworking or not, and what you need to do to get better. But if you have somebody telling you everything and start with a kit prepared for you, you will have a decent technique but you won't know how to apply it cleverly and you will just make the same things over and over again without having your own style. Which is perfectly okay for some people who relax doing woodworking as a hobby, but I don't feel that is enough to be a good craftsman.
    Last edited by Dimitrije Stamenkovic; 02-25-2014 at 6:16 PM.

Another Vote for Jim!

Find a project you want to make and buy the tools required to make it.

Not real sure about the veneer saw and the little roller on that list. A good crosscut and back saw (I have a gent saw like the one on the list and much prefer a back saw) should be on the list and a saw file. And a knife. And unless your jointer is of good size, something for winding sticks. A inexpensive 4' level, straight edge.

I have a Delta Homecraft Table saw/jointer. A 14" bandsaw. A mortiser.

If I needed the space I'd sell the TS/jointer, almost never use it. I'd love to have a lunch box planer but too noisy.
    Last edited by Judson Green; 02-25-2014 at 7:52 PM.

Blog Entries
    I am 19 now, in no way I can be called "experienced", but having a lot of hours per day to spend in woodworking, I have learned some things in the years I've been doing this.
    Dimitrije,

Welcome to the Creek. You do not list a location in your profile. What part of this planet do you call home?

I wish my woodworking started back in my younger years. I might be much better by now.

I haven't bought any of Mr. Schwarz's books, but I have purchased a few others. I particularly liked a workbench book published by Taunton Press. It shows different types of benches and has information about some of the advantages of one style over another.

Another book has a lot of different simple projects that are a good source of ideas.

jtk

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    I sometime like to work in my shop late at night. Power tools are a bit too noisy if one respects their neighbors right to a peaceful nights sleep.
    A bandsaw isn't all that noisy. A table saw needs ear protection.
    In general, I agree. My shop holds in the noise well from the neighbors. It's more my family that would be disturbed.

A planer is loud, a router louder but my table saw and jointer are quiet by comparison. I no longer have a bandsaw but I always thought it was nearly as loud as the TS. I sold a lot of my power tools a few years ago. I regret selling the bandsaw. It complements hand tools nicely.
    -- Dan Rode

Only power tools I own is a drill, circular saw, router, and a compressor. Those are the only tools I needed for the last 4 years when I use to make boxes for subs, and doing car audio equipment. Very quickly I learned that I really knew nothing about woodworking when I joined here and I really wished that I had a guide like what Mr Lang wrote. Mr Lang's article covers just what needs to be seen tool wise by a new wood worker. I wished I had realized what I needed to start to better direct myself but I am thankful that I read the articles posted here so I can go forward. Mr Lang said it the most clear in his article, "[t]he important thing is to get going and make something." Which has been said to me as earlier this week by another member. My list of a million tools that I must buy before my first project which was going to be a too cabinet has been turned into a list of two things a marking gauge and a mallet and I'm gonna make a saw horse.

The information to the those who want to be wood workers is over whelming and it made me want to start off out of my capabilities. I just needed my mind to be grounded so I can learn how to crawl before trying to run.

Thanks Mr Houghton for talking some sense into me.