Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can't upload images today

I'm using Win7 with IE 11.0.3. I also began having this problem about 1-2 weeks ago. I have double checked file sizes prior to uploading them to be certain they are within the allowable file size requirements. Today, the only way I could upload was to change my settings to the standard editor and use the basic uploader to upload one file at a time. Finally worked, but I used to be able to upload multiple files with the advanced WYSIWYG editor. When trying that method now, I don't get the option to upload multiple files, and the basic uploader lets me select a file, but then simply hangs when I press the upload button.
    Dick Mahany.

Blog Entries
    I have not been following this thread for a while.

I am still having problems with the File Upload Manager being stuck in "basic upload" mode.

Here is my machine information:

Model Name: Mac Pro
    Model Identifier: MacPro1,1
    Processor Name: Dual-Core Intel Xeon
    Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 2
    Total Number Of Cores: 4
    L2 Cache (per processor): 4 MB
    Memory: 10 GB

Running Mac OS 10.5.8

Browser is mostly Safari but FireFox is acting the same way.

A network admin friend told me the setting is likely held in the V-Bulletin software end and not on my end. Not sure if this is just his opinion or knowledge from experience.

It is a real drag when I want to upload images.

On a whim I visited another V-Bulletin site and the File Upload Manager works like I want it to work.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 03-09-2014 at 4:44 PM. Reason: On a whim...
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Jim,

Give the file uploader another try and let me know if the WYSIWYG is working now.

Blog Entries
    Still getting this:

Picture 1.jpg

This must be the WYSIWYG mode since the thumbnail is appearing in the composing window.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Jim, I have the same problem, I have not changed any settings and this started a few weeks ago, I think it has something to do with Flash.
    When I was using Firefox I would go to upload an image and I would get a message that Flash had crashed and told me to reload the page.

Windows 7 OS
    Bowers have tried, WaterFox, IE 11, Firfox, Chrome

It has nothing to do with the size of the image or anything about the image, the problem happens before the software even knows what image I am going to upload.

When you click on the Insert Image in a message the insert image window pops up defaulted to From computer. At this point I just clicked on the Select File button and it would bring up my computer. Now the Select File button does nothing and I have do click on the Basic Uploader, then I can browse to the image.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Huber View Post
    Jim, I have the same problem, I have not changed any settings and this started a few weeks ago, I think it has something to do with Flash.
    When I was using Firefox I would go to upload an image and I would get a message that Flash had crashed and told me to reload the page.

Windows 7 OS
    Bowers have tried, WaterFox, IE 11, Firfox, Chrome

It has nothing to do with the size of the image or anything about the image, the problem happens before the software even knows what image I am going to upload.

When you click on the Insert Image in a message the insert image window pops up defaulted to From computer. At this point I just clicked on the Select File button and it would bring up my computer. Now the Select File button does nothing and I have do click on the Basic Uploader, then I can browse to the image.

Yes, this is all an unfortunate change to vBulletin.

Long version: vBulletin had a very nice flash-based uploader based on a Yahoo API, but a vulnerability was discovered in this API. Unfortunately, Yahoo has end-of-life'd the API, and will not be fixing the vulnerability; and apparently the makers of vBulletin have no intention of writing their own. So, they have reverted back to the basic uploader, and left users wondering what happened to the nice uploader. vBulletin sites that still have the nice uploader capability have likely not addressed the vulnerability.

Short version: The uploader has reverted to the "basic uploader" to address a vulnerability discovered in the nice flash-based uploader.

Hopefully, vBulletin will come up with a better solution than keeping all my users wondering what the heck happened.

PS: We can upgrade SawmillCreek to vBulletin 5. However, this is a major undertaking, will involve downtime, has risks, and of course, will change where "everything is" (TM), which will garner many more complaints than the uploader. We will move to 5 eventually, but probably not until May at the earliest.
    Last edited by Aaron Koehl; 03-10-2014 at 12:21 AM.
    _Aaron_
    SawmillCreek Administrator

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Koehl View Post
    Yes, this is all an unfortunate change to vBulletin.

Long version: ...

[Snip]

PS: We can upgrade SawmillCreek to vBulletin 5. However, this is a major undertaking, will involve downtime, has risks, and of course, will change where "everything is" (TM), which will garner many more complaints than the uploader. We will move to 5 eventually, but probably not until May at the earliest.
    Aaron,

Thanks for the explanation. This was driving me buggy.l

In this day and age it amazes me that software engineers still can not write an upgrade that is transparent to users.

jtk

Aaron,

Thank you for the follow up and great explanation. I like the decision to hold off a while on the VB 5 upgrade due to the risks and work associated with it. The basic uploader although far less convenient than the old WYSIWYG, is only an annoyance and everything else on this site works so well. All of the work you guys do here behind the scenes is genuinely appreciated, even if it doesn't seem that way at times!
    Dick Mahany.

Blog Entries
    I have same problem- historically have uploaded multiple pics simultaneously d w/o problems now just "upload file failed" message. Love the site and appreciate everything you guys do- sincerely!!!

I'm no expert, but as a user this seems like critical, fundamental problem- probably just me, but will prevent me from posting. No compliant, just my experience/perception.

Mike

As I understand it the problem is based on a software change that vBulletin made recently. There was a vulnerability problem and we had no choice other than to install a software update. I'm sure the vBulletin will have another update soon that will restore the upload function as it was in the past or something similar.