Thread: Mesquite Slab Coffee Table Project

Mesquite Slab Coffee Table Project

I expect this will be a project that will take me a couple months to bring to life, still honing my Woodworking Skills and have a lot to learn.

I found a man retiring from Woodworking and ended up with a few tools and other great shop stuff. I was cleaning up some stuff for him and seen this big Mesquite slab laying outside behind his Wood drying room. He said It had been laying there for years and I could take it if I wanted. I took him up on it in a Heartbeat! It is about 3 foot by 2 foot by 4" thick.

My plan is to work this into a nice Coffee table and hope to make a few bucks on it.

I am going to fill in the cracks with some Epoxy from System Three with some Coffee grounds or Crushed Lump Charcoal.

So far I have just sanded the Saw Marks out using a Belt Sander.

Last edited by Alan Gan; 02-26-2014 at 9:00 AM.

That looks like it has some potential Alan...good eye. Seems small for a coffee table though. I guess it will depend on what kind of legs you put on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Calver View Post
    Seems small for a coffee table though. I guess it will depend on what kind of legs you put on it.

Think small couch... Lol

I've seen mesquite furniture have cracks filled with a black epoxy - provides a nice accent.