Thread: Mahogany Military Saber Display Case

Mahogany Military Saber Display Case

Hello all! I am new to Sawmill Creek and I have just finished a recent project. A very good friend of mine has a son who is an officer in the Air Force and is a recent honors graduate from Norwich University. I was asked to build a display for his son's saber, which was a great honor. The wood is mahogany, the finish is Waterlox. I have a TON of pictures on my website of the building process, as well as more pictures of the finished case. You can access them through my profile "homepage". Thank you for looking!!!

And a shameless picture of the dovetail joints that took me for ever to do and not screw up...

Andy

It's a beautiful case Andy. I am sure that he will love it. And dovetails like those deserve to be shown off! Kudos!
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty

Thank you very much Stew!!

Andy

4. Beautiful work on the dovetails. It's too bad the tails aren't cut into the sides of the case so they can be enjoyed by anyone admiring the case.

Frederick,

It is interesting that you say that because if I were to ever build another case like this I would show the dovetails for two reasons. 1. So that they could be more easily seen 2. So that the dovetail joint would have more resistance to the movement of the case back. By having them on top the case back (if it were to be submerged in a flood I guess...) could push the joint apart.

Andy

As a Naval Officer I have to say I would be most proud to have my sword displayed in a case like this, it is beautiful!!
    "A true man does not only stand up for himself, he stands up for those that do not have the ability to".
    William Lyon MacKenzie King

Love those dovetails !!