Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Decent Heat Gun?

Decent Heat Gun?

I'm in need of a new heat gun. My second cheapie (in about 15 years) has bit the dust. I thought I'd get a decent one since that's what I usually do when replacing tools these days but I need it for Friday morning so I need to buy local. Seems like all that's available is a Milwaukee at Home Depot ($70) and a couple Wagners or a Porter Cable ($25-40.) Or another Harbor Freight to replace the one I've had for maybe 5 or 6 years.

Anyone have experience with the Wagners or Porter Cable? Or are they HF quality with a fancy label? How about the Milwaukee? Worth the price (and drive--closest HD that has it in stock is 20 mins away.)

Matt,
    You won't go wrong with the Milwalkee. When you set it down, even to take a rest while using it, leave the fan run and just shut off the heat. The machine won't burn it self up that way. I've had mine for years and it still works well.
    faust

Matt,

We use this gun at work (Manufacturing) Built like a tank but can get heavy if you need to use/ hold it for 20min or longer.
    ULINE has very fast shipping. We order stuff before 6pm and most often it is on our dock by noon next day (UPS).
    http://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/...Q&gclsrc=aw.ds
    Last edited by Dave Lehnert; 02-26-2014 at 8:50 PM.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

I got one from Lee Valley - it was a special they had. It's been a great heat gun. But I don't know if they carry it in regular stock.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I have the Dewalt LCD heat gun. Very pleased with it. Just choose your temp with the LCD, 50 degree intervals.

http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-D26960-...ewalt+heat+gun

I've had good luck with a Wagner -- it was left behind by the previous owner of our old house and we've put it to good use over the years.

I have a Wagner and have no complaints. I don't use it a lot, but it works well when I do need it. I think I picked it up at Lowes a few years ago.

Matt, Check out a local Electric/electronic supply house for a heat gun that is used for shrink tubing. Grainger had them in the old days but don't know about now. The Grainger heat guns have a larger snout and a base that you can set the gun up so it points upward.
    David B

Quote Originally Posted by John Schweikert View Post
    I have the Dewalt LCD heat gun. Very pleased with it. Just choose your temp with the LCD, 50 degree intervals.

http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-D26960-...ewalt+heat+gun
    The DeWalt looks like a nice gun. See they also have it available without the LCD display for $59. Was $47.20 end of Jan. May pick one up myself if the price drops again. Did not know Dewalt made a heat gun.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Based on recommendations I bought the HF red one with 2 speeds and cool down. I like it. It's in Mississippi. I needed one in Virginia so I bought the 2 speed Wagner at HD. It works ok but I like the cool down of the HF.
    Setting up a workshop, from standing tree to bookshelves

That Dewalt does look nice. My HF gun isn't 100% done yet but it keeps cutting out momentarily. I think I'll order the Dewalt and home UPS shows up before it dies.

The Milwaukee at HD doesn't have an air-only feature so probably not worth the extra $10 and hour of time to go get it.

I've been beating on my Milwaukee for years. No fan only setting. I would forget to use it anyway. Maybe the extra $ are for a more robust heating element that doesn't need to be coddled.

BTW, my brother used it to heat his room for a few weeks at one point.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    Matt,

We use this gun at work (Manufacturing) Built like a tank but can get heavy if you need to use/ hold it for 20min or longer.
    ULINE has very fast shipping. We order stuff before 6pm and most often it is on our dock by noon next day (UPS).
    http://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/...Q&gclsrc=aw.ds
    I have one of those that's so old it has a three position, metal toggle switch. I'll bet it's been used for hundreds of hours, and it still works as good as a new one.

I bought the Dewalt, none LCD model about a year ago (IIRK...), it's worked very well. Heat shrink is it's main use, no problems with it.

Johny, heated his room? That's funny, and clever!