Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Decent Heat Gun?

1. I just got one from HF $10.oo with a coupon on this current email coupon offering
    works great 2 speeds
    for that money I can use this one & buy 3 more for the prices on the others I don't use one often so I can't justify spending more
    I was surprised how big it was & it puts out a whole lotta heat for $10.oo .
    Mike >............................................/ Maybe I'm doing this Babysitting Gig to throw off the Authorities \................................................<

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    Matt,

We use this gun at work (Manufacturing) Built like a tank but can get heavy if you need to use/ hold it for 20min or longer.
    ULINE has very fast shipping. We order stuff before 6pm and most often it is on our dock by noon next day (UPS).
    http://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/...Q&gclsrc=aw.ds
    I believe those are made by Master. It's considered to be on of the best heavy duty heat guns. I have an identical model that was sold by Bosch 20 years ago, I don't know if they still have them though. The nice thing about that style is they have a built in foot and the unit can be adjusted to various angles and also various temperatures.

In the military they gave the avionics technicians Master heat guns that could also be turned upside down on a base. The Master units also had pieces one could attach on the end the would "roll" the heat around the tube needing to shrink. I use a Wagner these days and have for over a decade (same one). At times wish for the heat gun attachment with the Master, but it's not worth the extra expense. In this picture of the Master unit, the attachment that "rolls" the heat is the last one on the right.

Master.jpeg

4. we had those back in my old airlines days , many a nasty burn from that chrome barrel I do remember & they were Heavy to boot
    the airline threw out all those due to asbestos holding the heating coils IIRC
    I would guess that's a new unit without the asbestos
    Mike >............................................/ Maybe I'm doing this Babysitting Gig to throw off the Authorities \................................................<

I have a Milwakee that is adjustable in 10 degree increments and has a digital readout of the operating temperature. Overkill for most I know but I used it for heat treating cane when making cane fly rods and I needed the feature. It has been a great tool. It is made by a Swiss firm and branded Milwakee. I'm a buy once cry once kinda guy I guess.

Ugh...looks like it might be stuck in Kentucky so I might have to run out and buy one locally anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    Ugh...looks like it might be stuck in Kentucky so I might have to run out and buy one locally anyway.
    Matt,

Where in Kentucky are you stuck?

I have a Wagner and I don't like it very much. The hot surfaces are not well protected and the cord is very stiff. The support that came with it is essentially worthless. That combination makes the unit extremely hard to use without burning the cord or the surroundings.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Riddle View Post
    Matt,

Where in Kentucky are you stuck?
    Not me, the heat gun I ordered.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    Not me, the heat gun I ordered.
    Ever get the heat gun? How you like?
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

We have an ancient one like Dave Lehnert posted.Gets used everyday in the finishing dept.......gets also used as a hand dryer @ sink,haha.

Yep, Fedex updated tracking to show the one I ordered would be delivered Tuesday so we went Friday night to Home Depot and I picked up the Milwaukee. Then Saturday morning the tracking said out for delivery and I hadn't opened the Milwaukee yet so I held out to see if Fedex would actually show up. Glad I did as I didn't realize that the Dewalt still has infinitely variable temp control where the Milwaukee was dual temp. The Dewalt will adjust from "hair dryer on low" to "melt the insulation right off the wires" It seems to be a nice tool. And it has a built-in stand to stand it on its back pointed straight up.

Since my last post, I now work for a new employer.
    At my new job we use this Porter Cable heat gun. Feels very well made compared to the $10 HF model.
    We use this gun daily without problem and feel it is a bargain at the asking price of $30 on Amazon.
    This will be my next gun when my HF gives out.

"Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

I recently bought a Kobalt at Lowes with LCD,different shaped ends for specific applications.It has more features than I need,and it seems to be made pretty well.

I too have a Wagner and have been very pleased with it's performance.