Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Doug Thompson sharpening video

Thanks Robo for looking...
    I have the Detail Gouge here and I took a couple of pictures of the "pointy" end.
    Maybe Doug will see this and help out?
    thanks
    Peter F.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Peter, thanks for the pictures. If that one is digging in and skating across the wood, most probable cause is not rubbing the bevel. It will do the same thing that a skew will if you come off the bevel. So, start the cut with the bevel rubbing (the bevel should rub the wood, but the wood should not know it unknown author) and cutting edge up off the wood. Move the handle till it starts to cut.

robo hippy

Thanks Robo,
    I figured it was the bevel rubbing thing! But the tool tip is ground at 40 degree angle and the second bevel is at 25 degrees. The handle has to be very low for the bevel to get near the wood. Michael Hosaluk makes look so easy!

I too heard that it is not rubbing the bevel, because that will leave a mark (cannot remember the author), if you use the term " let the bevel follow the cutting edge" then it makes more sense to me.

I made the Cindy D Vortex tool and it is really great for fine details into tight coves...
    My new D Way 1/2" bottom feeder is fantastic, I have ground the tip at a slightly more pointy angle so it feels better for many cuts besides just the bottoms of bowls.

My current challenge is the Detail Gouge, so I will keep trying to learn how to use it.
    Peter F.

[am log in but said video private what would be next

the video was originally put on utube by Woodturners of Southwest Missouri. It's listed on their site but still marked as private. There is a download helper add on for firefox that will make a copy of utube video's on your computer. If you get that and use it it will do a couple things for you. Save trying to find a video 6 months or so when you want to watch it again and if you have a slow speed connection you will be able to watch it later without breaking up. And you get a good video like this one and it disappears you have a copy.
    Rick
    I support the Pens for Canadian Peacekeepers project

I just spoke to Doug. The clip has to be edited by the Missouri club and hopefully will be reposted soon. The Missouri Club is also making a DVD which should be
    available in the near future. Let's hope so.

Hello, the video is going to be edited to shorten it a bit, we shot a video that took 20 minutes off the utube video and gives the same information. I read the comments and will say this I use what I like including Reed's platform. I believe people should enter into woodturning at the lowest possible cost so I don't recommend higher priced products, there is time to upgrade as the budget allows.
    Take care,
    Doug