Thread: router mounting in an extention table

router mounting in an extention table

I have a Delta table saw with a 52" fence and an extension table. It has two cast iron wings as well.

Is there anything wrong with mounting a router plate+router in my extension table and then using my standard fence with an add on fence running parallel (to accommodate the router bit and a vacuum housing)?

Hopefully this makes sense! Should I do it, or would it be worth it to drop a bunch of coin on a cast iron table?

I don't see why not. It's what I did. The only thing wrong with it is that it's not as convenient as a dedicated fence.

Like John, I used the T.S. fence for a while but found myself wanting to use the fence with the saw without messing with the router setup. I built a second fence that uses the T.S. fence rail in front and a threaded clamp mechanism in the back. I can rip about 12" with the router fence in place. Plenty of capacity to rip a new rail or stile to replace the one I screwed up.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Curt Harms; 02-27-2014 at 10:03 AM. Reason: added pics

Hi, sounds like a great idea to me, the only issue is that for shaping you often need an offset fence.

You could make yourself one that could simply be "C" clamped to the table, or attach to your saw fence.

I have a saw/shaper combo, same idea.
    B3.jpg

It's a great space saving solution...........Rod.

I just did what you are describing last weekend on my Ridgid 3650. Right now I have the router fence attached to the saw fence with T bolts. I figured I could always modify it later to be a stand alone fence if needed and if I am happy with my shop built fence.

Just an FYI, I bought the General International cast iron extension along with the dust box enclosure and then used a Jessem Mast-R Lift II. Everything fit together easily, I just had to get different bolts for the extension table to the saw.

It's my first real router table setup and so far has been great.

I've done it twice. The first was with a 30" table and it was annoying to have to tear the router down to use the saw. With my current 52" table it is rarely a problem.
    Sure, a stand alone router table would be nicer, but at a great cost in space.

The one thing I'll say is be aware of your feed direction, and be sure to mount the router so that you can comfortably do whatever it is you want to do. You don't want to be reaching too far when you use the fence, and you don't want work to be teetering too close to the edge of the table. Mine was mounted right in the center of the extension, but I think it would have been better to offset it a bit closer to the edge. Less reaching for fence work, and I could go from behind and get more table for pattern work. Nothing critical. Just a random though for if I had to do it again.

Thanks guys! I think I'll start on this tomorrow. Wish me luck. Thanks for all the good advice!

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    The one thing I'll say is be aware of your feed direction, and be sure to mount the router so that you can comfortably do whatever it is you want to do. You don't want to be reaching too far when you use the fence, and you don't want work to be teetering too close to the edge of the table. Mine was mounted right in the center of the extension, but I think it would have been better to offset it a bit closer to the edge. Less reaching for fence work, and I could go from behind and get more table for pattern work. Nothing critical. Just a random though for if I had to do it again.
    That's an excellent point.

Here is mine on a Ridgid.......

I used a t track that was the same as the same as the saw, so I could use the same miter gauge.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...brid-Table-Saw

I've done it also on my SawStop with the SawStop Beisenmeyer fence for table saw functions, and the Incra LS positioner fence for the router table. Only downside is that every once in a while I need to remove the router fence for sheet goods on the table saw. Otherwise, I get two top notch fences for my work.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

12. Go with below table dust collection and you would only need a simple add on fence attached to the other side of your table saw fence. (Just remember to rout in the opposite direction from your table saw feed!)