Thread: 8-1/4" x 5" Spanish Cedar & Ebony Egyptian Lidded Bowl

8-1/4" x 5" Spanish Cedar & Ebony Egyptian Lidded Bowl

8-1/4" x 5" Spanish Cedar & Ebony Egyptian Lidded Bowl. This was an experimental and fun piece using pyrography to create Egyptian hieroglyphic writing. The hieroglyphics actually spell out a message. I wanted to experiment with a finial that fitted what I was attempting to make. Since this was a first piece in what I hope will be a series there are many ways I can see to improve on the next piece. That will have to wait because I need to get back to turning bowls at this time.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Breck Whitworth; 02-27-2014 at 11:01 AM.
    I Love The Lord With All My Heart! & Necessity is the mother of invention!

Awesome work Breck! This and the pierced Sapele piece are first class pieces.

Did you line the inside of this piece with something? I love the look.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

[QUOTE=Brian Tymchak;2232494]Awesome work Breck! This and the pierced Sapele piece are first class pieces.

Did you line the inside of this piece with something? I love the look.[/QUOTE
    Brian, Yes I lined it with maroon flocking. I had some left over from making some band saw boxes a few years ago and thought it might be cool.

That is one great looking piece! How did you make that finial and what is it? And what is the message you wrote in the Egyptian hieroglyphic writing?
    Tim.
    Seven days without turning makes one weak.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Leiter View Post
    That is one great looking piece! How did you make that finial and what is it? And what is the message you wrote in the Egyptian hieroglyphic writing?
    Tim.
    Tim the final took a while to figure out and required use of the band saw and a micro-motor tool and a drill press and quite a bit of trial and error until I found a way to create this one. The hieroglyphic message I planned to not reveal unless someone was willing to look it up and decipher it themselves. Maybe the buyer.