Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 220 Receptacles - 20 amp?

220 Receptacles - 20 amp?

220-20a_zps85934a2e.png12020_zps5596ac0b.jpg

I have pulled wire for a 20 amp 220 circuit in the new shop. I am wondering if it is acceptable to use the 20 amp double plugs on a 220 circuit versus the single plug heavy duty receptacle (see photos)? Also, is there any reason I can't use a 220 breaker for this circuit that is 1" wide vs. 2" normal(the inspector has never heard of them)?

Thanks
    Randy Gazda
    Big Sky Country

is there any reason I can't use a 220 breaker for this circuit that is 1" wide vs. 2" normal(the inspector has never heard of them)?

The 1" wide one is for 110 volts.
    Fred

220breaker_zps482ac341.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred Belknap View Post
    The 1" wide one is for 110 volts.
    This is the one I am referring to, I plan to use 1/2" for 110 (space is limited in the box)
    Randy Gazda
    Big Sky Country

Fred is correct, the 1" is for 110 volts and the 2" is for 220 volts. The receptacle on the right in your picture is 20 amp 110 volt not a 220 volt like the single on the left.

Posted before I saw your picture. I have not seen those really thin breakers in quite some time. Are you sure your panel will accept them?

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Gazda View Post
    220-20a_zps85934a2e.png12020_zps5596ac0b.jpg

I have pulled wire for a 20 amp 220 circuit in the new shop. I am wondering if it is acceptable to use the 20 amp double plugs on a 220 circuit versus the single plug heavy duty receptacle (see photos)? Also, is there any reason I can't use a 220 breaker for this circuit that is 1" wide vs. 2" normal(the inspector has never heard of them)?

Thanks
    The receptacles are not the same. The duplex one is for 20a 120v and has a different plug configuration, your 220v plug would not fit in it. If you look you can see that in the picture.

The breaker is what I've always heard called a split breaker and is used to provide more room in the panel. As long as it is installed correctly there is nothing wrong with using one. I have used them many times when there wasn't any more room in panels. Most of them were for 120v though. With the 220v one you just need to make sure it is installed to both legs in the panel.

See the table in the following link to select the correct receptacle/plug for your application. http://www.powercabling.com/content/nema.html
    You do not want any chance that a tool designed for one voltage can accidentally get plugged into the other voltage. For circuit breakers you will need a 2 pole breaker that has the handles for both poles tied together. You cannot use the narrow double breakers to get 240 volts since both halves of these breakers are connected to the same source. Be careful and buy only the same brand and type of breaker that matches your panel. Do not use other manufacturers breakers and they will not be approved for use in your panel.

Charley

The double receptacle you show is for 120 only. If you were to wire it with 220 and someone plugged in a 120 device (which would fit the socket) at minimum the device would be damaged, and at worst there is a fire and shock danger. That's why the arrangement of the socket holes/plug prongs is different.

The double breaker you show would not provide 220 because both poles connect to the same 120 side in the service panel. You would measure 0V between the two wires. Also, as may have been pointed out earlier, you should check with your inspector. Some locations may not permit the half-size breakers.

A conventional 220 volt breaker takes two 1" slots in the panel so it gets fed from both sides of the panel. The dual breaker you showed will work in a 1" panel slot, but will provide two 120 volt circuits, not a combined 220 volt. As noted earlier, the 20 Amp 220 volt receptacle has a different configuration than a 20 amp 120 volt duplex receptacle. If you are short on panel slots, you may be able to find a combination ("quad") breaker that has four poles -- a pair of 20 Amp that are tied together for the 220 volt circuit and two single 20 amp poles for 120 volt circuits. Here is an example:

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Lent View Post
    See the table in the following link to select the correct receptacle/plug for your application. http://www.powercabling.com/content/nema.html
    You do not want any chance that a tool designed for one voltage can accidentally get plugged into the other voltage. For circuit breakers you will need a 2 pole breaker that has the handles for both poles tied together. You cannot use the narrow double breakers to get 240 volts since both halves of these breakers are connected to the same source. Be careful and buy only the same brand and type of breaker that matches your panel. Do not use other manufacturers breakers and they will not be approved for use in your panel.

Charley
    Thanks Charley, however, what is this breaker for if it isn't 220? When would you wire 110 to a 30 amp breaker?

GE Q-Line 30 Amp 1 in. Double-Pole Circuit Breaker (this is how that breaker is listed on HD)
    Randy Gazda
    Big Sky Country

Thanks for all the replies on the receptacles, I thought that was the case but several people have told me there are 20amp 220 receptacles that have two sets of screws (I haven't been able to find them). I will use the single receptacle and just pigtail them together.
    Randy Gazda
    Big Sky Country

GE Q-Line 30 Amp 1 in. Double-Pole Circuit Breaker (from HD website), this is a 30 amp for 220 not sure they make a 20amp

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Payne View Post
    A conventional 220 volt breaker takes two 1" slots in the panel so it gets fed from both sides of the panel. The dual breaker you showed will work in a 1" panel slot, but will provide two 120 volt circuits, not a combined 220 volt. As noted earlier, the 20 Amp 220 volt receptacle has a different configuration than a 20 amp 120 volt duplex receptacle. If you are short on panel slots, you may be able to find a combination ("quad") breaker that has four poles -- a pair of 20 Amp that are tied together for the 220 volt circuit and two single 20 amp poles for 120 volt circuits. Here is an example:
    Randy Gazda
    Big Sky Country

GE Q-Line 30 Amp 1 in. Double-Pole Circuit Breaker (from HD website), this is a 30 amp for 220 not sure they make a 20amp
    Look closely at that photo. This is really two doubled 120 breakers, i.e. 4 120 poles, with the middle two tied together. It is 2" wide and straddles two normal slots in the panel, so in most panels it will see the opposite pole on each half, giving you 220V. However, unless you are desperate for branches in the panel, why would you use this instead of an ordinary 2" 220 breaker? And if you are that desperate for slots, your inspector will probably tell you the panel is overloaded and needs to be replaced!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Baumgartner View Post
    Look closely at that photo. This is really two doubled 120 breakers, i.e. 4 120 poles, with the middle two tied together. It is 2" wide and straddles two normal slots in the panel, so in most panels it will see the opposite pole on each half, giving you 220V. However, unless you are desperate for branches in the panel, why would you use this instead of an ordinary 2" 220 breaker? And if you are that desperate for slots, your inspector will probably tell you the panel is overloaded and needs to be replaced!
    The panel is ok on room (I asked the electrician that installed it, for a box with 20 slots, instead I got with 14 and 2 those were taken up by the 100amp breaker). I didn't feel like fighting with him at the time. I can do 2" 220 breakers but will use up most of the slots (2 220 circuits and 8 110). I will just plan on narrow 110 breakers to save room for the 220.
    Randy Gazda
    Big Sky Country

The panel is ok on room (I asked the electrician that installed it, for a box with 20 slots, instead I got with 14 and 2 those were taken up by the 100amp breaker). I didn't feel like fighting with him at the time. I can do 2" 220 breakers but will use up most of the slots (2 220 circuits and 8 110). I will just plan on narrow 110 breakers to save room for the 220.
    That seems like the best plan. Looking into this more and it will depend on your panel if they can be used. Also they may only be used in certain locations on some panels. Here is a good article on it: http://www.startribune.com/local/you...140688183.html