Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: should i buy jet 1642-2 from amazon

should i buy jet 1642-2 from amazon

I am considering buying a new jet 1642-2 lathe from amazon tonight. Anyone have experience with them for large ticket items? I think they are selling for another vendor. Any thoughts and input would be greatly appreciated.

I see two listing for 1642 on Amazon. One is shipped and sold by Amazon, and the other by Acme Tools. The Amazon shipped is even available for prime shipping. The biggest tools I've bought from Amazon was a 6in powermatic jointer and a 14 in Delta bandsaw. Both were freight shipped and arrived fine. I really like Amazon, and never had an issue returning things.

~mark

Mark, I have only ordered small so am bit nervous. I see 5 sellers not sure which one is amazon. 3 of them have low price. If I select acme who actually do I deal with for customer service?

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Yoder View Post
    Mark, I have only ordered small so am bit nervous. I see 5 sellers not sure which one is amazon. 3 of them have low price. If I select acme who actually do I deal with for customer service?
    call Acme directly you might get a better price , I have bought large ticket items from Acme before each time I called on the phone & got the best deal out the C/S rep than even their website .
    Acme ships truck fright with a lift gate service included , they brought the items up the drive way & placed where I wanted it .
    they have jet on 15% off right now as well
    Mike >............................................/ Maybe I'm doing this Babysitting Gig to throw off the Authorities \................................................<

Usually Amazon costs slightly more than other authorized Jet dealers. That said, I have purchased expensive things from Amazon with no problems or complications.

As a side note, Acme is usually just CPO Jet.

I bought my PM3520 through amazon (it was the very last one they had in the anniversary special ). No real problem. I also bought my Delta 18-900L drill press through them. With free shipping through prime the price was competitive with what I was seeing other places and I've had returns to amazon of other things that were busted and they've always been good about taking them back (one case they put some breakers in with a coil of SJ cable needless to say the breakers were in bits but the returns process was painless).

Examine the packaging carefully and don't be afraid to make the driver wait 5 minutes while you bust the box open and check the insides. Its expected and all of the drivers I've dealt with have been really good about it. This is of course true no matter who you order from.

Good luck on your new lathe

I have bought from Acme and their service was great. Shipped with lift gate service.

Jay

I've had a toilet, freezer, 6' diameter hay basket, corner stall hay basket, automatic waterer's, office chairs and other "bigger" type items, purchased through Amazon with no issues.
    They can ship large items.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Jet generally gets a premium over other Asian importers like Grizzly, often for very similar tools. One of the perks you get for paying that premium is dealer support. When you mail order, you basically wave that support, and become your own middleman....just like when you order from Grizzly. If I'm passing up the dealer support, I'd want to make sure that the tool isn't the same as a Grizzly for $400-$450 less. I'd have no special concerns about items being shipped from Amazon's shippers vs any other.

Last edited by scott spencer; 03-02-2014 at 7:15 AM.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

I have had very few problems with Amazon and those have been resolved quickly. One place I would check before you order is Tool Nut, when I bought my Powermatic lathe they were a couple of hundred cheaper than anyone else I found, like many sellers they drop shipped it which in my case cut the distance it had to travel in half. Another thing to consider Amazon is now charging sales tax, if you are not in the state the other sellers are in that alone could save you a substantial amount of money over Amazon.

I bought a Powermatic Mortiser from WMH Tool Group via Amazon. They offered the Black Friday 15% off Jet and Powermatic with free shipping. I would definitely order a big tool through Amazon again. You can schedule your delivery (within a 2 hour time block I think) and the delivery guys were very professional. They backed their box truck up something that resembles an alley and rolled it through two doors right into my shop. They were in and out in less than 5 minutes. They told me to open any boxes I wanted and make sure everything was delivered undamaged. The boxes looked like they were brand new. I would not hesitate to order a big ticket item. I hope you have the same experience I did.

I have had no issues from Amazon, but have not ordered any big ticket items from them. We have had to return small items trough Amazon, such as children's clothes and they have always taken care of it without any hassles. I would check the price of your item with other vendors, the Grzzly track saw is marked up extremely high on Amazon, versus the Grizzly web site, for example. Grizzly has the kit for 245.00 and Amazon sells the saw only for 495.00 with free shipping. That's ridiculous to mark an item up that much.

Hi Jay,

This is my experience with Amazon, if my jointer had serious issues when I got it, I'd contact Amazon for returns. If the jointer had some minor part that needed replacing I'd call the manufactor to get a replacement. I'd imagine it would be the same if you bought from Acme. The safest way to buy a big machine is to buy it locally where you can expect if before buying. Short of that, Amazon is a very reputable option for online purchases. Cant think of a better online source.

I see what you mean about the choices. If I click the following link below and pick the big add to cart, that should be from amazon. If you're a prime member you will get the prime fast/free shipping. You should also see other "More buying choices" section where you can add to cart from the other sellers.

http://www.amazon.com/708359-JWL-164...rds=jet+1642-2

~mark

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Yoder View Post
    Last edited by Mark Carlson; 03-02-2014 at 1:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Mahan View Post
    call Acme directly you might get a better price , I have bought large ticket items from Acme before each time I called on the phone & got the best deal out the C/S rep than even their website .
    Acme ships truck fright with a lift gate service included , they brought the items up the drive way & placed where I wanted it .
    they have jet on 15% off right now as well
    ^
    ^
    ^
    This is the way to go. If you call you will probably get a price that won't be beat.

Thanks for all the comments. Since when has Amazon added taxes? Do all of the retailers add tax? What I was counting on was saving the taxes. I have seen that all of the companies listed show the same exact price. Does Jet set the actual price or do they all have room to move? Scott, thanks for the reminder about Grizzly. They seem to offer good value and I could get upgraded to 18" swing and still be less than $2k shipped. Any experience with the lathes? Specifically http://www.grizzly.com/products/Heav...18-x-47-/G0733 ? I was comparing the Jet 2 hp version of the 1642...