Thread: One of those days ...

1. One of those days ...

Ever had one of those days?

Destroyed $24 worth of oak trying to resaw it ... didn't notice the creep out at the bottom until it was too late. On my second try, the same thing happened (think I need to re-think my resawing jig setup). A quick trip to Home Depot for some more oak (since the hardwood store had already closed), and I was able to get the two planks I needed. Then drilled through the inside face of a piece of mahogany not once, but twice, when assembling the last plank. And, the plank I had carefully resawed and planed down to 5/32, then rabbetted the ends so they would meet well at stem and stern split in two at the final turn of the final screw. Not just a small end split, mind you, but all along the length.

I carefully removed the screws and pulled the plank away, tossed it with the other "junk" wood for final disposition later, wiped the glue off the remaining parts I hadn't had time to destroy yet, and looked around the shop. Destruction everywhere. Turned off the lights, and decided it was time for a shower.

I'll clean up the shop tomorrow, but probably won't turn on a machine. Too many other things to do this weekend, and I have to buy more wood. "More wood?"

I know I'll salvage the wood for other projects, and a new day may bring a new perspective. At the very least, I have a baseline for a bad day in the shop, and things have to get better from here! At least I can say it was just "one of those days," because I have had better, and will again.

The clarity of your post with only a couple of frowns (and who wouldn't be so inclined) demonstrates you are an overcomer. There does come a time when the best we can do is shut the door to the shop on the way out. You will return when the time is right and should such a day in the shop as today present itself again in the future you can take heart in the fact that you already have training/practice in maintaining a good attitude no matter what comes your way.
    Work safe, have fun, enjoy the sport.
    Remember that a guy never has to come down out of the clouds if he keeps filling the valleys with peaks. Steve

You're a bigger man than I. Everything concerned woulda been on the burn pile before I closed the shop, and hopefully whatever stationary object I'd used as a target when completing the destruction would've survived.

We deal with things differently, I suppose.

I'll admit your way is probably better.

KC

Some days you get the bear and some days the bear gets you. On those days its best to lock up the shop and sit down on the patio with a cold one.

At least you didn't throw the wood through the shop window. That wouldn't have made the day any better.

Who doesn't have times like you just experienced? You know what they say... "If it were easy everyone could do it" and what about the challenge?

You sound as if you have a healthy disposition. I have to, if I start throwing around stuff it may very well go through that $4000 window my wife insisted on my having for my shop, also aesthetics for the house. Yes she's a great wife

You're "day" will be better next time, promise

Been there, done that, bought that T-shirt.
    Ken in Clemson
    Ken's Shop

what Ken said....
    mike

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Weaver
    Been there, done that, bought that T-shirt.
    Me too... To add insult to injury, the T-shirt was the wrong size too.

-Kevin
    "He who dies with the most toys is none the less dead."

I'm learning to cutoff the "get it done" frenzy before things get out of hand.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Mike Parzych
    I'm learning to cutoff the "get it done" frenzy before things get out of hand.
    I think that really contributed to the problem yesterday ... an urge to get a certain task done in the one day I allotted. The irony is that its for a boat-style baby cradle, and the little guy isn't due until December (daughter's first baby). So I have plenty of time to finish it.

Most of the valuable things I've learned in life were experiential; working through a process, actually doing something, and that involves its share of failures along with the successes. So a failure is part of the process.

But most of the things I've learned are practical but not really valuable: don't pet the cat with varnish on your hands, don't get too inquisitive about how spray cans work, that sort of thing.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Frank Hagan; 06-19-2005 at 2:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Hagan
    But most of the things I've learned are practical but not really valuable: don't pet the cat with varnish on your hands, don't get too inquisitive about how spray cans work, that sort of thing.
    hahahaha...those are great!

Live and Learn...Live and Learn....
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.