Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for info on unknown hand planes

It looks to be a Sargent 306. Here's a picture of the blade it has currently.

Yep, that be a sargent made iron. SDC14713.jpgand the rest of the plane, in this case a Fulton/ Sears

So, would that Stanley blade work with my Sargent? Or do I need to locate a more suitable one? The notches look similar, but it doesn't have the hole for the adjuster.

See IF I can find a better view. At one time, I had both a #306, and a #307. You might also try an older 9-1/2 iron off a Stanley block plane. The adjuster though is one of those sargent type of things. SDC13936.jpgI guess the Fulton was a #307. This is the #306. The knob is knickel plated steel, and the bolt goes all the way through. It was an adjustable mouth plane. Unlike the #307.

Thanks. Maybe I'll see if I can sharpen up the original blade and see how it performs, then decide if I should replace it or not. Worst-case, I just don't have the lateral adjuster and I adjust by hand.

I have a plane stamped "The Fulton" that doesn't look anything like that.

sawmillcreek 045.jpgsawmillcreek 044.jpg

The blade is stamped Sandusky.

THis plane is weird. It has three nail holes along the left side of the sole like a fence was nailed to it and the sole is canted. The blade was eighteen degrees.

Blog Entries
    The blade in your picture seems to be perfectly fine.

You might have to search through all the blade makers to see if anyone makes new replacement blades for a Sargent block plane. You won't likely wear that blade out before finding something.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

"TheFulton" brand was Sandusky's salute to Robert Fulton. Nail holes are from a fence being nailed to the side as this was a jointer plane. That "36" I think was for Fulton's steamboat. yep, this is a boat size of a plane. Just a big old jointer by Sandusky Tool.

A circle u stamp is for plomb/penens a company that made hand tools for craftsman 1944-48