Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Questions on holes for bench dogs

Quote Originally Posted by James Tibbetts View Post
    These have looked interesting.
    Thanks, the price is reasonable too, think I'll try a couple.

Quote Originally Posted by Winton Applegate View Post
    Thanks Fred,

Most people just make fun of me for having a purple heart bench.
    "The color of a teen age girl's eye shadow " and like that.

Hey I think I said that . If your going to quote me please at least have the decency to provide a proper credit/citations.
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

I am with Derek - hand drill and a square next to the bit for reference.

When I retrofitted a small quick release face vise as an end vise on my horrible solid core door benchtop, I pulled the apron off, and cut dadoes with a backsaw and chisel. This was for 3/4 inch square dog holes. I spaced them 6 inches apart. I wish they were 4, or even 3 1/2 inches apart. And I wish I had put one more really close to the vise, for holding wee stuff. So with the apron back on, the dog holes are 3/4 inch from the edge of the bench. Sometimes I wish they were closer to the edge.

I made a whole bunch of dogs and filled all the holes with them, so there is always a dog available when you need one.

Darrell
    Wood Hoarder, Blade Sharpener, and Occasional Tool User

The true beauty of the round dog hole is that your wishes can become reality with just a couple minutes work. That way you can live and learn and not drive yourself crazy by trying to figure out what is the 'correct' number or location for your dog holes.

Seriously, its like everyone these days needs to over-think and analyze every little decision. Its a quagmire of lack of decision making ability as far as I can see. Whats the best? Should I do tthis or that? It really doesn't matter to 99% of us anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    T
    Seriously, its like everyone these days needs to over-think and analyze every little decision.
    Well that's a relief. I thought it was just me! It's good to know I'm not alone.

You should see me an Paul together working on my bench. He's a pro carpenter with knows how to "get er done"...meanwhile I over think every stupid little detail that doesn't matter....seriously, I spent 5-10 minutes trying to decide if left legs should be 12" from the end or 14" from the end, and which would be better just in case I decide to put a different face vise on some day...I drive myself crazy!!!! I don't know how Paul can stand woodworking with me.
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

That's because you are doing it as a hobby and can afford to waste time agonizing over it, instead of producing. And why not? I choose to do it that way because it is fun for me and satisfies innate urge many people have to try to do things perfectly.

Schwarz's blog actually just had some info about bench dog placement.

http://www.popularwoodworking.com/wo...bench-builders

Quote Originally Posted by Reinis Kanders View Post
    Schwarz's blog actually just had some info about bench dog placement.

http://www.popularwoodworking.com/wo...bench-builders
    Thank you. This was helpful to me!
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Follow up: What I did & How It Worked

Just for the archives, in case it helps downstream ...

After several practice attempts using various methods, I just did not feel comfortable that Id get a perpendicular hole. My hands are just not steady enough and the jigs I made didnt work well enough because the Forstner shaft is too short. (Also looked at Forstner extenders, but couldnt make them work for this particular situation.) Tried jigs with the spade bit too - just couldnt get comfortable - which hacked me off because this shouldnt be hard.

So I ordered a Rockler Jig-It for $20 along with one of their Long Shank Forstner bits. The "long" version adds an inch to the length of a normal Forstner. Its carbide tipped, so its expensive - $35. Using these two together, I was able to get perpendicular holes about 1.5" deep. Then I used a spade bit to get the rest of the way through (without the Jig-It). This was easy to do, using just my 3/8" corded drill.

At the 11th hour, I changed my plan and decided to use Grammercy Holdfasts instead of a tail vise or equivalent. So I followed CS' advise and ran a set of holes down the back side of the bench (actually 4.5" from the back) at 15" intervals. I think Ill live with this a few weeks and add a few more as needed. (Ill post a "for newbies" thread about the Grammercy's after I get more experience with them. But so far, no regrets.)

Thanks for your help and advise guys.

Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

11. Well, if you are going without a vise and have some hold fasts, then may I suggest:

http://www.theenglishwoodworker.com/?p=1434

It works great.

and well, if you need a vise to hold something:

http://video.pbs.org/video/2265291141/

I made my twin screw for very very little out of 70% discount lumber and some random hardware from my home center.