Thread: Old Logging Photos from the Pacific Northwest

Old Logging Photos from the Pacific Northwest

I spent much of my career in the woods and find these photos bring a proud smile to my face. You may enjoy them too!

https://www.facebook.com/LoggingRigg.../photos_stream

Mike, way cool fotos. I logged in Central ID and currently ( retired ),I model N scale logging rail road here in Sagle Id , near Sandpoint. Thanks for sharing !
    John 3:16

thanks for sharing, what was Elvis's connection?

Glad you liked them Paul and Charlie! I have no idea why Elvis was in the photo stream.....maybe he was a wannabe logger???

I was a management forester in the south for 35 years but we managed trees. What are these big things.

Robert - these are one log loads and now days there VERY FEW mills that can handle them!!

Very cool link. I spent two hours going through the pix. I saw guys I used to log with in some of the pictures. I logged out of Estacada Or. in the late 70 and early 80s. It certainly is young mans work, but it sure was fun.
    Do or do not, there is no try.

Dennis - I just missed you at Estacada as I didn't arrived in that area until '86. There were some BIG pumpkins up the Clackamas drainage!!! Used to be that 120MMBF/yr came down through Estacada. I bet it isn't any more than 15MMBF today.

Thanks for sharing those pics. Very interesting. I was not in the logging industry, but I've hiked through a lot of redwood forests, mainly on the coast but a few in the Sierra's. We've visited some logging museums here in nor cal, too. The Fort Bragg area was the best place to see a lot for us since we hiked the forest, visited a mill/museum, and also a redwood nursery. Man, there are some really huge doug fir in those pics, too. We see logging trucks everyday here, but it's rare to see one with just a single log on it.
    Project Salvager

The key to the gateway of wisdom is to know that you don't know.______Stan Smith

Amazing pictures of amazing wood. Thanks for sharing them.

My brother still lives in Estacada. We cut big timber and our average load only had 4 logged.
    Do or do not, there is no try.