Thread: green turn and applying finish

green turn and applying finish

In general when you green turn a bowl, without double turn. How long or to what moisture content do you wait be for applying an oil finish, Say teak or Danish

Thanks

I would put an oil finish on right after finishing the sanding.

Penetrating oli finishes are not a problem with wet wood, but as it dries, you will need more, and they tend to dry unevenly as it penetrates the end grain better, but it does balance out after several coats. Now, a spray surface finish, that never works.

robo hippy

In my climate, a thin turned piece of no more than 1/8" might take two to five days to be dry enough to sand and finish.
    God is great and life is good!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Peace View Post
    In my climate, a thin turned piece of no more than 1/8" might take two to five days to be dry enough to sand and finish.
    Mike - you leave your pieces that thick? Joke aside, I agree with all comments above. A thin green turned piece with oil will level out with multiple coats and a light hand sanding can be done after 1st coat dries. The first coat will soak in a bunch and dry quicker than subsequent coats , should help prevent cracks, but will not prevent warpage. That is why I usually will rough turn and let dry to finish turn. I don't mind the warp rims as much as I do a warped bottom. Of course, you can always go to 3 feet and warp not a factor.