Thread: Large elliptical cove

Large elliptical cove

Hey guys,
    I have a project coming up quick in which I need to make some large cove in the shape of an ellipse. The ceiling currently has a rectangular recess in it appx. 12' wide x 20' long x 12" deep. I have to make cove molding to go in this recess that will be an ellipse, the cove molding will be appx. 10" tall and will be painted. I'm currently thinking of using some foam insulation as build up and finishing it off with some plaster. Any better ideas? We have a CNC. The piece will be made in several sections as to get it in the room. How well would plaster stick to foam?
    Thanks for the input!

Here is a picture for clarity...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Before you get too far, you might consider contacting these guys. Flexible curved trim is what they do, and they claim to be able to produce "any profile":

http://www.flexibletrim.com/G_Products.htm

Blog Entries
    On an episode of this old house or other rennovation program they were installing foam coves in a tray ceiling that were quite large. I think they were coated with plaster. There are suppliers for this type of thing. Decorative Crown Molding
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Miner View Post
    Before you get too far, you might consider contacting these guys. Flexible curved trim is what they do, and they claim to be able to produce "any profile":

http://www.flexibletrim.com/G_Products.htm
    you right Jerry, The website provides information that is very complete..

I've made mouldings for similar spaces ,but in two or even three layers using a soft glued up mdf like Trupan ultra lite
    I don't think one large cove is a good idea for that space. Looks too much like a substitute for a dome.