Thread: Question for you Saw Stop users....

Question for you Saw Stop users....

I have a friend that is getting ready to order a new Saw Stop and we have been talking about it and came up with a question.

I like my Saw Jaws and use them on all of my blades, they sure make it nice when installing or removing the blade plus it is a nice place to store them, my friend likes them also.

The question is can you use them on a Saw Stop with the brake installed? From looking on the net at the brake and the blade installed it does not look like they would work, you could store the blade but I don't think you could remove or install it with them.

Thanks....

03j7575s1.jpg

I don't think it will work Bill unless you take the break cartridge out it won't fit past it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Jolliffe View Post
    I don't think it will work Bill unless you take the break cartridge out it won't fit past it.
    That is what I thought, thanks again....

Blog Entries
    I think it would partially work. You could use those to get the blade onto the spindle. You'd need to remove it to push it back to the rear flange. Personally, I've never seen a need for saw jaws.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Pixley View Post
    I think it would partially work. You could use those to get the blade onto the spindle. You'd need to remove it to push it back to the rear flange. Personally, I've never seen a need for saw jaws.
    I guess that would work and I will telling him that, he may want to get one just to try it and if it doesn't work I could always talk him out of it.

There are a lot of people that don't see a need for the Saw Jaw but I really like them. I store my blades on a peg board and the Saw Jaws are nice in that you will never hit a tooth with anything. Then there is the thing of cutting a finger with a good sharp blade that I never have to worry about. I never have to worry about hitting the tooth on the table saw when installing or removing them.

It is one of those things, you like them or you don't, no in-between.

Blog Entries
    The clearance between the blade and the cartridge is about the thickness of a nickel. If the lip of that is less than that, it might work.
    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...Holy Cow....what a ride!"

Or sand the rim of the saw jaw down a bit where the brake is.

The Sawstop doesn't need it because you can use two wrenches to tighten or loosen the blade. There is no need to hold the blade still.

Plus one, on the already making blade changing easy with two good wrenches and flats on the arbor. That being said, I think you would need to strategically trim the Sawjaws.

Yeah the brake is a nickel thickness from the blade at the closest point. At other points it is increasingly far away so you would only have to trim a small section of outer perimeter off that for it to work. The wrenches included with the saw are perfect and blade changes are easy just like it comes from the factory though.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Schwabacher View Post
    The Sawstop doesn't need it because you can use two wrenches to tighten or loosen the blade. There is no need to hold the blade still.
    Holding the blade for tightening is just part of it, that is the part I don't use.

I have a Jet with 2 wrenches but I use the Saw Jaw on it, not to tighten the blade but to protect the blade and my finger.

I have a Saw Jaw or each of my blades and they hang on a peg board some on the same peg but I don't have to worry about them hitting each other.

So you spend $100 plus on a blade and for $16 more you can protect it for getting hit, putting it on the saw and taking it off.

You also get a good finger protector, not more nicks on the fingers form the blade.

I use the saw jaws to store my blades on a peg board wall but as others have said it won't pass the SawStop break without modification. I simply take out the blade and install by hand.

Tom