Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Most Reliable Pen Kits

I've never tried the between centers method. However, having both halves on the mandrel at the same time, helps me get the proportions and shapes that I want for a particular style. I don't think that I could do the between centers method very well. YMMV
    Project Salvager

The key to the gateway of wisdom is to know that you don't know.______Stan Smith

Steve, it is good to know about good mechanisms at any price. The "under $10" is for round one of trying it out.
    Stan, I may well end up trying mandrels later. I'll start between centers and see what happens next.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Blog Entries
    Brian,

I often use a mandrel for roughing out two-barrel kits, but I always finish one barrel at a time between centers. It's too easy to get an off-center bushing that goes unnoticed until you try and assemble the kit... and THEN you notice things don't match up. Doesn't happen with TBC.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kent View Post
    Anything wrong with this as a dead center?
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A1THAZDOWP300U
    Will work fine. Busy Bee in Canada has them for $4.99 or carbide tipped ones for $9.99. Grizzly also carries them for roughly the price of the one you pointed out.

One of my favourite kits is the perfect fit http://www.bereahardwoods.com/pen-kit/sets/Perfect_Fit_gold_or_chrome.html
    It has one of the nicest feeling twist mechanisms of any and is in your price range, plus if you want to make a pencil it's just a simple matter of replacing the ink refill with the pencil mechanism.
    Rick
    I support the Pens for Canadian Peacekeepers project

Thank you.

I have liked the Wall Street pen kits in one of the more durable finishes (Titanium, Rhodium, or Chrome). It's a one piece kit and doesn't take too long to turn and finish. The fact that it's a one piece body means that you can turn it between centers without feeling like you've lost time, like with the slimline models. Been buying mine from Exotic Blanks.

If you get an acrylic blank, then it goes that much faster. You don't have to put any finish on it, just buff it until it shines.
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

7. you can also get "space pen" ink refills from http://www.spacepen.com/cartridge.aspx. the same pens used by astronauts.
    If it's good enough for NASA, it's good enough for me.

They write underwater, upside down, in the vacuum of outer space!, and in any temperature from -30ºF to +250ºF.

That's pretty reliable!

I never buy the cheap gold plated kits. The few I've made wear too quickly. On the other hand, chrome kits are inexpensive, and the plating is durable. I prefer rhodium/platinum platings, and titanium gold and titanium black. One of my favorite kits to turn is the Virage (aka Princeton at Woodcraft).

My favorite slim style pen is the Streamline. It has a bigger centerband and makes a fatter pen than a regular Slimline. Timberbits in Australia sells them in upgrade platings for $3. I've had really good luck with ordering from them, and delivery to the USA is reasonable, and quick.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Gibson View Post
    Will work fine. Busy Bee in Canada has them for $4.99 or carbide tipped ones for $9.99. Grizzly also carries them for roughly the price of the one you pointed out.

One of my favourite kits is the perfect fit http://www.bereahardwoods.com/pen-kit/sets/Perfect_Fit_gold_or_chrome.html
    It has one of the nicest feeling twist mechanisms of any and is in your price range, plus if you want to make a pencil it's just a simple matter of replacing the ink refill with the pencil mechanism.
    Many thanks for that info. You have given me an idea for Christmas presents for this year. I had never heard of these interchangeable pen/pencil combos before.
    Project Salvager

The key to the gateway of wisdom is to know that you don't know.______Stan Smith

Yes, my 8 pen kits have arrived.
    Yes, my imagination tells me I know how to do this.
    Yes, I would appreciate at least a page of instructions for turning between centers and assembly.
    Yes, I thank you in advance.

Here's a utube video that shows how. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6wTnychR1U
    Rick
    I support the Pens for Canadian Peacekeepers project

1) Substitute for a barrel trimmer so I can work this morning before getting one? Forstner bit in the drill press?

2) Was I supposed to get a different kind of bushing for turning between centers?

Maybe I need to get a mandrel and barrel trimmer at Rockler before I can start???
    Last edited by Brian Kent; 03-20-2014 at 10:48 AM.

Substitute for a barrel trimmer so I can work this morning before getting one?
    Brian I use a small sanding disk in the lathe and a drill bit the size to fit inside the brass tube. Put the pen blank on the drill bit and slide the tailstock up to the sanding disk. Little slow but works good. I have a set of punches in various sizes I use instead of drill bits but either works.
    Fred

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kent View Post
    1) Substitute for a barrel trimmer so I can work this morning before getting one? Forstner bit in the drill press?

2) Was I supposed to get a different kind of bushing for turning between centers?

Maybe I need to get a mandrel and barrel trimmer at Rockler before I can start???
    Barrel trimmers can be tricky and I have also gone the sanding disc in headstock route. You can easily make a morse taper pattern and turn a taper to glue to a flat disc in short order. As far as between center bushings, yes they are different than mandrel bushings in that they have a 60° cone from a center drill to locate on the matching live and dead centers. Those bushings can easily be made from scrap pieces of Corian or similar on the wood lathe. Just measure and match the diameters from your mandrel bushing set. Good luck and enjoy.
    Dick Mahany.

The part I don't get about the bushing is that it seems like it should have to fit inside the ends of the instead of being adjacent to the ends.