Thread: Sketchup question

Blog Entries

Sketchup question

I drew the cabinet shown below, but I only made it 16" deep. Is there any way other than redrawing it to make it 20" deep?
    Cabinet 3-10-Left.JPGCabinet 3-10-Right.JPG
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

There is no "stretch" command in Sketchup?

Blog Entries
    Well, I should have waited 5 minutes before posting this. I found that I could look at the side view and select all the lines on the one side and move them the 4" I needed. Everything moved and looked right when I was done. Now I know.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Piwaron View Post
    There is no "stretch" command in Sketchup?
    Maybe not, but you can go to a view, select all the lines you want moved and then use the move command to move them the desired amount. It keeps the model intact.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    Maybe not, but you can go to a view, select all the lines you want moved and then use the move command to move them the desired amount. It keeps the model intact.
    Close enough.

Nothing wrong with that. Lets everyone else know.

I love SketchUp, but need to either find a good training video, or just lock myself away and spend more time using it! My last project design was to build a simple rolling cart for my DeWalt planer. I decided a good practice session would be to do a model of the planer. I wanted to get the cart height just right to roll up to my large workbench, to use as an outfeed table. Wow, that was a pain! But I learned a lot. And then I discovered the SketchUp library, and I found an incredible model of the planer. So I just imported it into my cart design.

Blog Entries
    The Popular Woodworking videos are very good. Bob Lang is a member of the Creek.

I've never watched the Fine Woodworking videos, but I bet they are good as well.

I am not sure it would have worked but there is a Scale tool that I use a lot.

Capture.JPG

Blog Entries
    Dave Richards Video available from Fine Woodworking is very good. I learned more in the first 15 minutes than I did in weeks on my own.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Huber View Post
    I am not sure it would have worked but there is a Scale tool that I use a lot.

Capture.JPG
    The scale tool won't keep parts consistent widths or thicknesses. It will scale the entire model resulting in thicker/wider.

Look into the cabinet sense software plug in. It's paid monthly but if you regularly draw cabinets (which this is) you can scale dynamically.

Lee, thank you for the compliments.

As to your question about resizing the cabinet, you can do it with the Move tool. The Scale tool would not be the correct tool for the job unless you want to scale the widths of the stiles and such. The exact steps to change the depth of the case will depend upon exactly how you drew it. You don't need any plugins to do this, either.
    Last edited by Dave Richards; 03-12-2014 at 9:02 AM.