Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How long do manufacturers produce parts for machines ?

How long do manufacturers produce parts for machines ?

Anyone know how long Companies produce parts for machines they no longer make ? Got a SEARS 15 inch electronic variable speed lathe with the 2 hp motor. I looked up replacement parts from the SEARS website, and noticed many of the replacement parts are no longer available. Thankfully, the Lathe is running fine, but when it does break down , where do I get parts ? Or do I just throw the 150 LB chunk of Cast Iron out for scrap?

I thought Delta used to advertise that you could get parts for their machines made back to 1938 or something like that .

I believe Delta sold off most of their old parts.

It's up to the manufacturer, of course most companies don't manufacture machinery, they're just resellers.

Fortunately for larger machinery there are often aftermarket items available such as electrical parts, bearings, belts etc.

Apparently Felder can supply parts for their old machines as they're the manufacturer/designer...........Hopefully I won't have to try that out....LOL..........Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    I believe Delta sold off most of their old parts.

It's up to the manufacturer, of course most companies don't manufacture machinery, they're just resellers.

Fortunately for larger machinery there are often aftermarket items available such as electrical parts, bearings, belts etc.

Apparently Felder can supply parts for their old machines as they're the manufacturer/designer...........Hopefully I won't have to try that out....LOL..........Rod.
    That's a strong argument for buying machines from a manufacturer/designer.

Sears may have taken a different stance since the 70's. They claimed to fix/repair anything they sold. Which leads into parts availability... the Shady Grove Warehouse and repair facility replaced a ladies old gasoline powered washing machine with a brand new unit due to lack of inventory. The hitch was she was the original owner and had proof of purchase. Doubt that you can count on that today.

Quote Originally Posted by John Piwaron View Post
    That's a strong argument for buying machines from a manufacturer/designer.
    Until they get sold off multiple times (Delta & Powermatic) and parts support goes out the window.

Ed

It varies, but for this reason I suggest avoiding machinery with electronic features. Sears abandoned support of their digital radial arm and table saws long ago. Allegedly they just weren't much good.

I know Hitachi supports tools for 7 years and after the last run of a particular model and after that considers them obsolete.

Quality machinery holds up pretty well though. A lot of woodworking hobbiests acquiring machinery are concerned about parts availability and honestly, I seldom have had to replace anything on a used machine except motors, belts and switches. A machine that appears not to have been used hard probably hasn't been and if that's the case, a non-benchtop type machine will usually hold up for a long, long time in hobby use. One thing to watch out for is worn-out feedworks in vintage planers though. Most other common woodworking machines are mechanically simple and tough.

Most of the time it is 6 months before I need the part and then they are sold out.

You know, I had this very conversation with the Italian trade managers at SCM Group's open house, recently. There is no "grand plan" to render machines obsolete after x-many years. More often than not, it is a case of newer units, with newer technologies, being brought to market and less and less spare parts to support the earlier technologies being ordered by the factory. But it really depends. For example, if someone calls the parts department for a cast iron wheel for, say, a 20-year old S45 bandsaw, they're going to be out of luck. On the other hand, the main switch would probably still be available. Major structural components and drive assemblies will be more challenging to find than simple wearables like bearings, belts, and switches.

I would say that, based on my experience, if the machine is in the 10-15 year old range (assuming we are talking about a manufacturer as opposed to a reseller...), I think you ought to be able to get parts for it fairly readily. Just my thoughts of course.

Erik Loza
    Minimax USA

It is really disappointing to find that the manufacturer of your American made tools has been sold to some foreign company who has no interest in backing your tools with parts. I had a hammer stapler built by Bostitch, which was bought by Stanley, and lasted for 30 years, used it to install insulation, felt paper, house wrap etc, and the spring broke. So I went to the tool repair place to get a spring, and was told they no longer make the stapler, and parts are not available. This model of stapler was built for probably 60 years or longer, with a few updates, and was used by pros all over the country. Was hard to wear one out.

Funny thing you mention that. I have a Ryobi BT3100-1, and aside from the table, stand, and main housing, I have enough spare parts to build a new saw. I have been collecting them since I bought the saw used a few years ago. The idea was to beat planned obsolescence on a saw I actually like...

For many pieces of equipment, particularly larger, cast iron machines, and even cheapies like my Harbor Freight band saw, they utilize standard belts, pulleys, bearings, motors, switches etc... Some pieces, for example the tension assembly, are specific to that model, but so close as to be interchangeable with parts from just about any other 14" C-frame type band saw. Riser block, guide assemblies etc... need to be sized right, but are obtainable, and if not, then a machinist would need to be turned to in case something serious goes bad...

Lathe, again in my case, a Harbor Freight 12x36 Jet clone, and can use most of the parts from the JWL1236, or the Grizzly of similar configuration...

Sears, under the Craftsman name has done a LOT of rebranding of other tools, the band saws of late are nothing more than Rikons painted black and silver for example.

Perhaps your lathe is like that? You just need to do some research and find out what is compatible with your machine...
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Labadie View Post
    Until they get sold off multiple times (Delta & Powermatic) and parts support goes out the window.

Ed
    Maybe. All of my big iron is Delta. I've never had to repair any of it. As long as repairs are not needed parts availability is irrelevant. But only until that time. I suppose that there comes a time in the life of anything when parts will become unavailable. As to whether or not that's reasonable when finally happens is going to depend on how old it is when that happens and if the owner thinks they've gotten their moneys worth.

Theres plenty of places to source parts if you know where to look. Which lathe do you have
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

Clarence,
    I'm guessing your lathe is a tube lathe and is the same as a Palmgren lathe of the same vintage. As Curtis suggested, you might be able to find Palmgren parts that are a direct replacement for your lathe if needed in the future.

In California, manufacturers are required to supply parts for 3 years from $50-$99.99, and for 7 years from $100+. Most companies don't want a separate California model, so they will supply parts to people in any state for at least this amount of time.

1793.03. (a) Every manufacturer making an express warranty with
    respect to an electronic or appliance product described in
    subdivision (h), (i), (j), or (k) of Section 9801 of the Business and
    Professions Code, with a wholesale price to the retailer of not less
    than fifty dollars ($50) and not more than ninety-nine dollars and
    ninety-nine cents ($99.99), shall make available to service and
    repair facilities sufficient service literature and functional parts
    to effect the repair of a product for at least three years after the
    date a product model or type was manufactured, regardless of whether
    the three-year period exceeds the warranty period for the product.
    (b) Every manufacturer making an express warranty with respect to
    an electronic or appliance product described in subdivision (h), (i),
    (j), or (k) of Section 9801 of the Business and Professions Code,
    with a wholesale price to the retailer of one hundred dollars ($100)
    or more, shall make available to service and repair facilities
    sufficient service literature and functional parts to effect the
    repair of a product for at least seven years after the date a product
    model or type was manufactured, regardless of whether the seven-year
    period exceeds the warranty period for the product

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin Miller View Post
    In California, manufacturers are required to supply parts for 3 years from $50-$99.99, and for 7 years from $100+. Most companies don't want a separate California model, so they will supply parts to people in any state for at least this amount of time.

1793.03. (a) Every manufacturer making an express warranty with
    respect to an electronic or appliance product described in
    subdivision (h), (i), (j), or (k) of Section 9801 of the Business and
    Professions Code, with a wholesale price to the retailer of not less
    than fifty dollars ($50) and not more than ninety-nine dollars and
    ninety-nine cents ($99.99), shall make available to service and
    repair facilities sufficient service literature and functional parts
    to effect the repair of a product for at least three years after the
    date a product model or type was manufactured, regardless of whether
    the three-year period exceeds the warranty period for the product.
    (b) Every manufacturer making an express warranty with respect to
    an electronic or appliance product described in subdivision (h), (i),
    (j), or (k) of Section 9801 of the Business and Professions Code,
    with a wholesale price to the retailer of one hundred dollars ($100)
    or more, shall make available to service and repair facilities
    sufficient service literature and functional parts to effect the
    repair of a product for at least seven years after the date a product
    model or type was manufactured, regardless of whether the seven-year
    period exceeds the warranty period for the product
    Hey Ben thanks for posting that. That seven years is almost folkloric, people often mention federal law but I don't think there is any.

Do you have anything that would indicate our tools fall into the category of electronic or appliance device?