Thread: Has Amybody Used MicroPlanes'?

Has Amybody Used MicroPlanes'?

I've used MicroPlane's rasp-like hand tools for shaping such as cabriole legs and other freeform furniture parts. I've also used their drums that you can chuck in a drill press. I've found them far better than coarse sandpaper for shaping wood. Now the've come out with discs to fit your ROS, Rockler sells them. I ordered a demo pack of 3 different "grits" and will be trying them out real soon. I'll report back on what I find. The Purpose of this post is to get any feedback on how (or how not) to use them. Is there anything I should do or not do; test or not test, etc?

It seems to me when one has some serious imperfections to take out of the surface of a board these could be a blessing.
    18th century nut --- Carl

Hey Carl.......not an answer to the question - but I have my own.... Are those little "drums' on the drill press really safe? I see those guys demo'd at the WW show and they grab it - with no damage to self flesh.......?? True???

Roy, I wouldn't grab that drum on a bet, but neither would I grab a sanding drum. How do you suppose one is safer than the other?
    18th century nut --- Carl

I tried a drum and was not impressed. It wouldn't remove much material.

I'll be very curious to hear how the same technology works with a ROS.

Unhappy

Newbie here. Been lurking (and learning from this forum) about woodworking for about a year (I got to retire before LOML). Didn't want to wait for some projects so I decided to learn how to do them. As a person of small stature, one of my toughest dilemmas is always tool size and weight. That's how I discovered Microplane.
    All that said, I am a great fan of their hand tools and drums. So when I saw the ROS discs I ordered them immediately. Used them this weekend on a piece of scrap pine and am getting ready to send them back. The coarse chewed up the surface and ripped out every edge it came close to. (Using a Makita ROS and learned (the hard way) not to apply pressure. Also found broken teeth all over the workbench. The fine disc packed with sawdust so thick it melted the pad on the sander! Again, no additional pressure and after only about 4-5 minutes of sanding. Just my experience and will continue to use other Microplane products.
    Thanks for everyone's willingness to share your experience and knowledge!

I have one of the original - no handle
    Use it to grate cheese over pasta all the time - works great
    You mean you're suppose to use it on wood.
    I thought it was for body putty.
    Daniel
    "Howdy" from Southwestern PA

Got two Micro plane products: one handled number, and one drum. The handled one goes through wood nicely, does a SUPURB job on hard cheese, and will pass through your thumb quicker than lightning.....trust me.

The drum, well, I wasn't pleased with the peformance of it at first, but then I cranked up the speed on the DP to max, and it works pretty well. Again, same caveat: if it goes through wood, imagine flesh.
    Maurice

I work for Microplane and will be more than happy to answer any questions you have about our products. I appreciate all feedback, good and bad. That helps us make our products better. Thanks!! Chad

I bought a set of Microplanes drums and used them in my drill press-- I was concerned that they would not stay sharp for the 100 pieces that I had to clean up after the band saw cutting. They performed very well and I will use them on my next project.
    Jerry

Chad,
    Welcome to the Creek! Always nice to have a manufacturer's rep with us.
    Maurice

As a former chef, and an aspiring woodworker, Ive also used the original microplane for food and wood. On the subject of wood, I've used the newer drum on my drill press, after receiving it as a present. I used onre of the old style and quickly threw it out. The different hand planes work well as long as you use them properly. I find each species of wood neceesitates a different angle and stroke. Just got through making a custom grip left handed knife handle for a 8" paring knife my dog got hold of and chewed the handle off of. I formed a custom grip for my thumb on one side and where my fingers wrap around, and the assortment worked along with a hand made pattern makers rasp.
    If I could be now what I wanted to be then, how old would I be?

Nice to be here. I'm actually the Division Mgr. for the Woodworking Division. One of my customers recommended that I visit this site to see what all was being said about the sandpaper. I appreciate all of your honesty and feedback.

Thanks in advance!