Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: For all you guys who dream of a larger shop

Thank you for posting the inside of your observatory as when I seen the first image I planed to request that! Great setup on BOTH!!!!

Beautiful shop. I've one (about 32' x 60') that was a garage with what looks like a similar ceiling.
    8x6SAM_0248.jpg

But I have no windows. I'm planning on putting some in.

Two questions - do you find your ceiling height limiting? Would you put in more windows if you did it again?
    Setting up a workshop, from standing tree to bookshelves

Quote Originally Posted by george newbury View Post
    Two questions - do you find your ceiling height limiting? Would you put in more windows if you did it again?
    George, I have 6 windows, four in the shop, one in the garage, and one in the exercise room. All I wanted, and plenty of natural light.

In my last shop when the light switch by the door was turned on, 16 fluorescent lights came on. This time, only four small bulbs of 100 watts total. I use lots of area lighting so where I am working is very bright, but since there is only one of me, money is not wasted brightly lighting up the whole place.

My walls are 10' at the sides, and 12' at the center. If the ceilings were higher it is too hard to heat the shop. Don't see a reason for higher ceilings.

I've always liked your shops since they started showing up in WOOD publications. Would love a peek through one of your telescopes, too. My new house and shop have relatively clear skies, but still in the humid Northeast, so nothing like what you must have.
    ‎"A man must love a thing very much if he not only practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practices it without any hope of doing it well." —G. K. Chesterton

Ya know I am up for adaption. Just saying. great shop!!

Tom

i've got a new shop and need to start building all my cabinets. The only thing I kind of dread is finishing. Do u finish the inside of all your cabinets?
    Bob C

Great looking shop. I've got a combo metal, wood, dog kennel, horse barn, tractor, motorcycle, shop. It's big but nowhere near as nice as yours. I hope to get to NM in a couple of weeks to ride motorcycle around in the warm weather for a few days. Maybe I'll fall in love with the area and not come back too....
    The Plane Anarchist

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Cooper View Post
    Tom

i've got a new shop and need to start building all my cabinets. The only thing I kind of dread is finishing. Do u finish the inside of all your cabinets?
    Well. this thread is about SHOP cabinets. No need to finish inside of drawers. On the new tool box I recently built (shown to right of my main workbench in photo 2 above) I did line most of the drawers with that rubber shelf lining to keep things from sliding around. The shop cabinets get one brushed on coat of satin polyurethane, some times two coats on the top of a workbench. Super quick and easy. Most of the cabinets were one weekend projects - including finishing…

Now, in all the furniture I built for the house, I sprayed everything, including insides of drawers, with lacquer. Those pieces required a bit more finishing.

Many more photos on my home page. Just click on my name.

I was about to say "hey, I have cabinets that look similar to yours!" Then I realized I built my shop cabinets using the concepts from your book, which I bought from you... great, commonsense advice in that book, for sure. Thanks for sharing, Tom.

Great shop! Thanks for sharing. I have your book and built a few cabinets from your ideals. thanks!