Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For all you guys who dream of a larger shop

For all you guys who dream of a larger shop

I'm sure my dream shop is not exactly the same as yours, but since I continually read posts where folks are dreaming of a larger shop, I thought it was time to do another shop tour thread. After living in Florida for 40 years, we recently moved to New Mexico. We were just tired of high humidity, the ever growing light pollution that ruined our astronomy hobby, and what the heck - it was a real adventure. We love RVing around the beautiful scenery of the west, and always thought it would be great to live under the wonderfully clear and transparent skies…
    The new shop is smaller than the old one. This time the building was nearly the same size, but the new building was divided into three rooms, with the shop portion 36x36. This keeps the heat and air costs far smaller than the old 40x60 shop that was one big room. Like the last time, the shop building is just a steel building. A contractor put it up, and the wife and I finished the inside side. Everything from the old shop made the 1800 mile trip west, including all the old machines and my two dozen home-made shop cabinets. It was far cheaper to move them than to sell and purchase everything again. Besides, a lot of love went into the design and building of the cabinets that make the shop such a pleasure to work in, and they weren't going to be left behind. Many of them are now 30 years old.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (89.9 KB, 544 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (90.0 KB, 593 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (91.1 KB, 564 views)
    • File Type: jpg 4.jpg (90.6 KB, 558 views)
    • File Type: jpg 5.jpg (92.1 KB, 544 views)
    • File Type: jpg 6.jpg (91.5 KB, 555 views)
    • File Type: jpg 7.jpg (91.6 KB, 584 views)
    Last edited by Tom Clark FL; 03-12-2014 at 10:28 AM.

My hobbies are woodworking, astronomy, telescope making, and RC flying. The shop has areas for each of them - just in case you are wondering why there are so many cabinets. Most of the machines are getting quite old, but still work just fine. I am a retired machinist, and that is the reason for having a mill and lathe. They are very handy for making telescope parts and just about anything else. Of course moving the shop doesn't mean that everything was set in the right place the first time. Arranging and rearranging everything has been lots of fun, and will still be going on for awhile yet.
    I hope this photo tour gives some of you folks inspiration to build your dream shop someday. It is not real fancy, but it sure serves my purpose.
    Last edited by Tom Clark FL; 03-12-2014 at 10:54 PM.

Tom,

Looks like you have a first rate setup there; thanks for sharing. Enjoy those dark skies! BTW, what size scope do you have under that nice observatory dome? Clay

Nice, Tom. Last time I saw that many drawers in one place was at the Fruit of the Loom warehouse.

Tom, welcome to New Mexico. You won’t have to worry about high humidity or rust any longer!
    I love your shop setup, very nice!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

The shop looks okay but that observatory next to it just looks awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Clay Crocker View Post
    Tom,

Enjoy those dark skies! BTW, what size scope do you have under that nice observatory dome? Clay
    Clay, The scope is a 42" Newtonian. Used it in FL for 12 years before moving here. Views much better here.
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (88.3 KB, 300 views)

8. Hi Tom, that's great..

Blog Entries
    Tom,

Really nice. Great job.

PHM

Very nice Tom. I like the cabinets and want to do something similar. Looks like you found what you like and kept going with variations on a theme.

I can certainly see why you'd have wanted to move those cabinets! Looks like you have a really good initial setup there, that's a really nice looking shop.

Impressive observatory as well!

Very nice. You won't get much get much sympathy on your "downsizing".

Paul

Thanks for posting!

Our shop is a little too big.....actually looking fwd to downsizing a bit.Taxes and maintenance........

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Clark FL View Post
    I'm sure my dream shop is not exactly the same as yours, but since I continually read posts where folks are dreaming of a larger shop, I thought it was time to do another shop tour thread. After living in Florida for 40 years, we recently moved to New Mexico. We were just tired of high humidity, the ever growing light pollution that ruined our astronomy hobby, and what the heck - it was a real adventure. We love RVing around the beautiful scenery of the west, and always thought it would be great to live under the wonderfully clear and transparent skies…
    The new shop is smaller than the old one. This time the building was nearly the same size, but the new building was divided into three rooms, with the shop portion 36x36. This keeps the heat and air costs far smaller than the old 40x60 shop that was one big room. Like the last time, the shop building is just a steel building. A contractor put it up, and the wife and I finished the inside side. Everything from the old shop made the 1800 mile trip west, including all the old machines and my two dozen home-made shop cabinets. It was far cheaper to move them than to sell and purchase everything again. Besides, a lot of love went into the design and building of the cabinets that make the shop such a pleasure to work in, and they weren't going to be left behind. Many of them are now 30 years old.
    Tom,
    Thank you so much for sharing this. What a great thread and timely (at least for me) in that within 3 months our new house with expanded garage should be complete. Then I can finish it as I like. I'm trying to pre-figure that out but can't and know it will evolve over time.

Dream shops often do not work out for many, especially as quickly as shop owners would like, often limited by budget, building code restrictions, space, time, resources, health or other things.

I too am a machinist by trade and have an interest in astronomy but know little on the latter, but professional at the former.

I doubt I will ever need or want as many cabinets or drawers but I admire the Shop Organization & Control aspect; one of the classes I completed for Vo-Tech Instructor Certification in my spare time. Still there are many take-away's I can use as I finish my workshop. I find the work stations and areas most appealing.

Cleanliness appears spotless; AAA. ...perhaps has something to do with machine shop and optics.

Jeff

What a beautiful shop! I love Deming and there is nothing like the Duck Races to get the blood pumping.

Jack