Thread: Log tenon cutting

Log tenon cutting

I have some friends who are going be missionaries to a remote part of Papua New Guinea. I want to teach him how to make furniture out of trees. I figured he will have an abundance of trees, so that is the best route. No electricity to speak of. Just Solar and a generator. So it is all hand tools and hand work. I plan to teach my self and then have him come down and teach him using the tools he will have over there and techniques I can show him.
    What techniques can I teach him on how to join logs/limbs to make tables, beds etc. What tools? I figure a draw knife, bit brace and a saw would do most of it.
    I want to make a shaving horse from a walk up. The walk up is the one that is below. I plan to buy him about four to take over there. They are very handy to have around. It won't rust up either!
    Any ideas for how to attach some sort of a hold down while using the draw knife on the walk up?Thanks for your help. This is my first posting on this site. It is hard to get your head around building something with out electricity. At least it is for me.

RP

The locals have mastered stone age tech. I would ask what implements are prized cargo.
    I would hazard a guess that there are commonly available supplies to pack.

PNG is a humid environment, and little in the way of modern steel will resist decay.

I would pack lots of kid safe paints, stickers and bright things to give away.

Blog Entries
    Any ideas for how to attach some sort of a hold down while using the draw knife on the walk up?
    I often use a rope for such a task on my log cutting horse. The trucker's hitch is a good knot to learn for securing loads and work. The Spanish windlass is another good knot for such occasions.

Don't forget axes, hatchets and chisels. A spoke shave may be another good tool to have along.

Maybe how to make a pole lathe. Even just a box to hold something while working one side and then being able to turn it to work another.

The bench you show looks like it could be the start of a carving horse.

You may want to look at videos of making green wood furniture.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)