Thread: Union tongue and groove plane help

Union tongue and groove plane help

I just received a Union #41 T&G plane off the bay. It is missing the irons. I figured I would just make some new ones out of O1. Not sure the size I need to make them though. Anyone have the specs? Thanks for any help

Cody

Blog Entries
    Cody,

I am not familiar with this plane. My first visit was to Google.

Now I do not know the size of the blade but can tell you a very quick and accurate way to determine the blade size.

It will take something that can act like the blades. Set these in the blade holders. Hopefully there is a ridge for the blades to go against so they are parallel in the plane. The distance between these two faux blades should be the same as the blade width.

The two blades cut the tongue and one of the blades has to cut the groove. One of the blades could be a little larger, but the one cutting the groove can not be much different than the width of the tongue.

This is the kind of thing that blades from something like a Stanley #45 or other multi-bladed plane would come in handy.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

You could also look at getting a set of replacement irons from St. James bay for the Stanley 48. I think they may be the same size iron as the Union variant.

Thanks guys
    Brian I think I will go the SJB route, hard to beat the price. Thanks for the info.