Thread: They disregarded the sage advice of St. Marcus the Wise

Angry They disregarded the sage advice of St. Marcus the Wise

Not a week ago St. Marcus the wise spake in this forum...

"Also a safety word to the wise that gets repeated here every so often, sometimes with pictures posted of the damage...

Do not for a single minute turn your back when you are cutting styrene. It can and for us it often does flare up between the stuck on stuff on the vector grid and the backside of the styrene. Having a full blast air assist will not always put out the flames, in fact, it ends up feeding it! Keep an extinguisher of the right size and composition nearby. And whatever you do, don't walk away to go to the bathroom "real quick". All it takes is "real quick"."

Guess what somebody did at work today? It was acrylic, not styrene but still...DON'T TURN YOUR BACK...

So if there is anyone that has or had an Epilog 36EXT that was multipurposed as a laser, smoker, and char broiler, let me know what you ended up replacing or recommend based on these pics. I sent them to Epilog as well.

We are down to a single laser again...
    IMG_0898a.jpgIMG_0899a.jpgIMG_0901a.jpg

Well Mark,

I certainly hope the damage is less than what it appears. Looks like mostly smoke and some warpage. These are pretty "tuff" machines even 'tho the heart yet breaks when these things happen.

Bruce
    Epilog TT 35W, 2 LMI SE225CV's
    CorelDraw 4 through 11
    CarveWright
    paper and pencils

Blog Entries
    St Marcus,

At this risk of being in poor taste.
    Friday (3-14) is International Pi Day. The global celebration spectacular for the number pi.

In celebration of that, and in honor of your Legend, I dedicate this piku to you. ( a piku is like a haiku, but instead of being in the haiku form of 5 syllables, 7 syllables, then 5 syllables it is in the form of pi. 3 syllables, 1 syllable, then 4 syllables.)

epilog
    now
    cuts by firelight

Dave
    PS...seriously....Can't offer any advice on replacing stuff, but my heart goes out to you and whoever ran to the bathroom, however briefly.
    900x600 80watt EFR Tube laser from Liaocheng Ray Fine Tech LTD. Also a 900x600 2.5kw spindle CNC from Ray Fine. And my main tool, a well used and loved Jet 1642 Woodlathe with an outboard toolrest that helps me work from 36 inch diameters down to reallllllly tiny stuff.

I suspect whoever went to the bathroom had to go back to clean out their pants when they were finished with seeing that.

Sorry for your fire That's tough to see.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

I wish I could say I've never seen that before but in general I see or hear about 1 every 2 weeks

cheers

Dave
    You did what !

Burning laser machines are not much fun, but pikus looked interesting so I gave it a try or 3 (point one four one five nine)... Ya hafta understand, it's based on math ;^)

Algebra
    Trig
    Geometry!

okay, now warmed up, let's go for the obvious stuff...

Happiness
    is
    warm apple pi(e)

c'mon, if you aren't smiling at least a little, you must be wondering

What happened
    to
    my funny bone?
    Wait!
    Could pikus extend
    to infinity with extra lines?
    Why, yes!
    Just follow pi sequence,
    successive digits
    govern each line...

Oh, yes, I subtly ended that with an ellipsis, subconciously signalling an infinite series...
    Last edited by Glen Monaghan; 03-13-2014 at 4:47 PM. Reason: getting my math right...

Blog Entries
    Very good Glen!! Thanks!

We have had a stressfull few weeks in many offices so I threw this out to them today just for giggles and grins. Folks have been having fun with them!! Hope it brought a little smile to your face Mark!!! Keep em coming folks, and don't forget to help Mark with ideas too if you can!! That was the point of the original post after all!!

Dave
    900x600 80watt EFR Tube laser from Liaocheng Ray Fine Tech LTD. Also a 900x600 2.5kw spindle CNC from Ray Fine. And my main tool, a well used and loved Jet 1642 Woodlathe with an outboard toolrest that helps me work from 36 inch diameters down to reallllllly tiny stuff.

My day job is a forensic engineer. I currently have a Trotec Speedy 300 in the lab that caught fire. I've haven't gotten around to the investigation yet, but is there anything I should keep an eye out for that might have caused the fire? My gut reaction was that somebody did just what your employee did and got a flare-up while they weren't looking. But I can't be sure until I dig in a little.

If you check your business insurance, you may fine where there's smoke there's flames, and where there's flames there's insurance..
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it