Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Metro Morris Chair

The first coat of Danish Oil finish is on! Will wait until tomorrow to reapply and plan on 4 coats with a steel wool applied wax finish. Hope to order cushions this week.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Dominic, your pictures are a lot easier for us to view when they are rotated properly.
    Just a suggestion
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Sorry to everyone.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks, those are a lot easier on the neck.

Beautiful Morris!

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Nicely done. I like the contrast in the wood, and also the taper on the legs.

Did you have to steam or soak the curved parts before bending/clamping?

Cutting those through-mortises is high on the "pucker-factor", ain't it?
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

To make the bent arms and seat back I used my band saw to resaw some 6/4 Cherry. Each piece ended up about 3/16 thick. I the. Laminated them with Weldwood Plastic Resin glue on a bent lamination form I built(see pics in thread). I clamped them up for 24 hrs then sized them to final dimensions.

Just about there! Everything is complete, but the four pegs I intend to make for the back rst hinge and the back stops. I will be turning this this week from Cherry with a Walnut stip in the middle of the peg. I decided before I assembled the chair that I did not want to drill holes in the arm for the back rest stops. That decision meant I needed to come up with another method to recline the back. I chose to make a couple Cherry pieces with 3/4" holes that I mounted under the arm. I think it matches the design well.
    I've included a couple fabric swatches my wife is looking at for the cushions. We have a local upholsterer here in South Bend that has given me a price of $260 plus my fabric ($75-$150 for 3 yards) to make the cushions. They are about 3-4 weeks out, so I'll be stealing some cushions from something just so I can get in it - can't wait!
    The finish was two coats of WATCO Danish Oil followed by a third coat that was wet sanded in with 400 grit Wet/Dry paper. then finished with a thin fourth coat of WATCO. I then buffed out the shin with 0000 steel wool and followed with Miniwax Paste wax with cotton cloth and a little mineral spirits to thin the wax as it was applied. I then wiped and buffed. It has a little more shine than I anticipated because the surface was dulled after the steel wool. image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Nice work, it looks comfy!

Andy Rooney

That's a beauty of a chair Dom. Very well done! The cherry and walnut look very nice together

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
    I received the cushions for the chair today! Tepe Upholstery is a long time locally owned shop in South Bend, and I couldn't be happier with their work. They came pick up the chair, custom made the cushions, and delivered it back to me today. They were about 4-6 weeks out when I dropped my fabric, but they had it done in about 3 weeks? I purchased the fabric from a big box hobby store and took it to Tepe. The craftsman at Tepe found several defects in the weave, but we're able to work around them. They called me to come in and look before they began work on the cushions to make sure I would be happy with the pattern after they compensated for the defect. Good news is that I have enough fabric left over for a foot stool!

Blog Entries
    She's a beauty Dom. Very well done. I was curious about the combinations of wood and their locations but, the result removes all doubt. This is what makes it so fun to tag along on a build. You get to see things come together.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Ooh, that looks comfy!

Andy Rooney

What a nice creative flair applied to a traditional furniture design! That project just turned out extraordinarily well, judging from the photos.