Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Trotec Training

Awesome video's Scott, thank you for your efforts.
    After using an Epilog print driver for years, its hard to get your head around the Trotec job setup, but I can see it will be very powerful once I get used to it.

@Shawn regarding macbook.
    I use a pac book pro with win8.1 running in fusion.
    Only loaded Trotec software yesterday, it works a treat.
    Coreldraw x6 runs nice on it as well, and I use Epilog as well, all good. (USB).
    HARDWARE - Macbook Retina Pro - Toshiba Satellite - Epilog Helix 60W Co2 Laser & Rotary - Trotec Speedy 300 Co2 Laser - Gravo IS400 IQ Engraver. - Pcut CTO630 Vinyl Cutter. - Wacom DTF720 Touch / Trace Screen - GKS DC16 Sublimation Press - Chinese 6040 CNC Router
    SOFTWARE - VMware Fusion / Windows 8.1 - Coreldraw X6 - Trotec Job Control 9.4.4.2 - E-cut - Gravostyle 7 - ULS 1Touch Photo - BizzWizz Invoicing / Stock Control / Ledger - VB6 Pro - Mach3 - V-Carve Desktop

Nice job on the videos!

I find using markers to place multiple jobs easier than using grid-lines as they are harder to accidentally move. We have tons of jigs, so we set each up, position the head, use F8 to mark the position out and do the same for the rest of the jig. Save the file, label the jig and done. If only there was an option to position multiple times and snap to marker at the same time and positioning a 100+ jobs a bed takes far too much time!
    Jit Patel
    London UK

30w Trotec Speedmarker CL (Galvo) with 400mm & 250mm lens
    80w Trotec Speedy 400 with Rotary, Vacuum Table, Cutting Lamellas, 2" & 1.5" lens, Pass through
    Oki Printing Press
    Abobe Creative Suite - Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign.
    Vector Magic

Thanks to all who have commented. I have many more plans, but I updated my desktop computer and I cannot locate my Corel disc, so the device I captured the videos on isn't available to use without that disc. I've turned the place upside down about 5 times and can't figure out where in the world the disc would could be. At this point, I'm dead in the water until I buy another version of Corel, which isn't in the plans at the moment. I have the key, I just don't have the disc. If anyone has X5 and wants to loan me the disc long enough to load it and use my key, I'm happy to do so and return it.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Duh.....googled CorelDraw X5 and downloaded it from Corel. Entered my key and we are back in action on the Corel front.

Wish it didn't take me 3 months to figure that out!
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Good to hear you are back in action. I am a new Trotec owner and I found your videos very helpful. Thankyou.
    Vector Etch Laser Cutting & Engraving
    Brisbane, QLD, Australia

Trotec Speedy 360 120W
    Trotec Speedy 100 60W

Blog Entries
    Steve,

If you need a (hard)copy of the disc, let me know...
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    Steve

You're the spittin' image of Festus.
    He does kinda look like Festus
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Thanks for answering my other questions this weekend Steve. I just watched your two videos and I have a pretty simple question along the same lines to what we were discussing with the ULS.

Video #2. You're sending over the "Trotec Training" plate. You have the plate setup as 3.99" x 1.365". My question is, why type the same size again in the Trotec Print Preferences? Why not select "Take from Application" or use a different option in the drop down menu rather than "User Defined"?
    Equipment: IS400, IS6000, VLS 6.60, LS100, HP4550, Ricoh GX e3300n, Hotronix STX20
    Software: Adobe Suite & Gravostyle 5
    Business: Trophy, Awards and Engraving

Quote Originally Posted by Ross Moshinsky View Post
    Thanks for answering my other questions this weekend Steve. I just watched your two videos and I have a pretty simple question along the same lines to what we were discussing with the ULS.

Video #2. You're sending over the "Trotec Training" plate. You have the plate setup as 3.99" x 1.365". My question is, why type the same size again in the Trotec Print Preferences? Why not select "Take from Application" or use a different option in the drop down menu rather than "User Defined"?
    No problem Ross. That's a GREAT question! My answer is simple. Because I can't get that to work I've tried it many times. I even tried it after our PM's the other day. Nope, still can't get it to work. In theory, it's supposed to do exactly what you were asking about. In CorelDraw, in the options page, in the global settings, there's a section of check boxes and one of them says "Send Bezier curves". There's another box in that section that says "Allow job size to be sent" or something like that. I checked that box, which I'm told I have to, to make it work. However, when I send a 2" x 3" job from Corel, with a page size of 17" x 24" in the actual driver, it should send a 2" x 3" job over, but it doesn't, it sends a 17" x 24" job over.

Since I don't use it, I've never tried to flush that bug out. I was told years ago that that feature was intended to be used with AutoCAD. However, I got a call from someone in Universal several months ago, asking me why I didn't use it. I explained it was told that it was for AutoCAD and they said that it was no longer for that alone, but worked much better now across a lot of programs and that I should start using it. I tried it immediately, emailed one of their application guys and asked him if I was doing it right and he told me I had all the settings right. However, it never worked.

I very well could have something set wrong, but I've not tried it since I'm so used to not using it. But in theory, it should do exactly what you were trying to do.

I had a demo with a Speedy 300 and I can half answer my own question.

1. The feature only works on Corel Draw X5+ (According to the manual).
    2. It seems to read the info from the saved Corel Draw file. So if you make your plate size 5x7. Save it. Then send it as "Take from Application" it seemed to work. If you make a change, don't save, and then send it over, it will send over whatever was saved in the file. If no file is saved, it seemed to default to previous sizes or the size in the driver. I didn't really figure that out.

It seems the best method remains to draw a box around the artwork and have it crop to the artwork as the default. Obviously use a color that won't result in any engraving or cutting.

It's funny how you can take for granted little features.
    Equipment: IS400, IS6000, VLS 6.60, LS100, HP4550, Ricoh GX e3300n, Hotronix STX20

Ross
    I'm not sure this applies but you can save custom plate sizes. More often than not I select the item I want to engrave and send it without a plate. I have my default set to quarter sheet which is the bulk of my engraving.

If I want to move the laser to a specific point on the material I use "engrave selected" and "minimize to job size".
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Yeah, there are a lot of different ways to tackle this. None of them are a real issue. I'm just trying to avoid typing in the plate size twice or having a lot of presets. Drawing a box around the plate and doing "minimize to job size" or the equivalent on a ULS is not the biggest deal in the world.

I've found more and more people are used to running sheet goods and we only do that part of the time. A lot of what we engrave is finished goods and sizing is incredibly important. A lot of this stuff is not standard sized anymore. Acrylics that used to be very close to 3.5" x 5" are now only relatively close to those specs. Being a little careless can result in things getting off 1/32+ pretty easily and that's when the naked eye can start noticing things being off center.

Steve, as you know, I've been asking about the software for the rayjet versus the speedy 300. Looks to me like you could do ganging of jobs quite a bit easier in this software than on the rayjet. Does the software "store" jobs for you to pull from, or does it only have like the last 20 or so that went into the que?

Yes Bob, it stores them in a que. You could have 1000's in there, I suppose. You can also save a job out of Job Control as well, so if you have really repetitive things and don't want to leave them in the que, you could save them. It's rare for me to do that, I tend to just keep the repeat jobs in the que and drag and drop them on the plate when I need them, then put them back in the que when I'm done.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob WrightNC View Post
    Steve, as you know, I've been asking about the software for the rayjet versus the speedy 300. Looks to me like you could do ganging of jobs quite a bit easier in this software than on the rayjet. Does the software "store" jobs for you to pull from, or does it only have like the last 20 or so that went into the que?
    Ah ha, answer in the second video. Wow, this really has me thinking about the software very hard. Thanks.