Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help with cyclone duct layout

Do you have access to the blue denim insulation that Menards sells? That stuff is fantastic for sound insulation.

My Lowes sells Roxull, it's insulation, sitting right next to the pink stuff.

Ok, got it! According to their website, my Lowes has it in stock for both 2x4's and 2x6's so ill pick some up this weekend. I need to decide if going with 2x6's will gain me more sound deading or if 2x4's will be enough.

Do you think all that airflow will put Roxul dust in the air? Should I still go with a layer of carpet or some other covering on the interior?

Thanks!
    Brian
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work

A couple of points about duct installation. Don't have the wye with the leg pointing down or it can cause an issue in some circumstances. If the wye is upstream from another machine pick up and the upstream wye is not used frequently it will fill up with saw dust when the downstream wye is in use and form a plug in the upstream wye/line. Install all wyes horizontally using two 45's to turn the duct down to the floor. If the wye must be installed with the leg down put a blast gate between it and the wye itself to prevent the dust accumulation. Of course if the wye has not got any other wyes downstream and thus no dust passing it then this is not an issue.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

The set up looks great. I have two small suggestions. Your diagram suggests the use of flex hose after your first 2 wye's. Flex hose just increases resistance so I would try to avoid it anywhere in your main lines. When you set up your blast gates, point them all in a uniform direction relative to each machine so you can easily tell if your blast gates are open or closed. I find myself doing this frequently to make sure that I haven't left any others open, and it takes a little more concentration when their orientation varies. Also, I spent a fair amount of time looking for the best fittings, etc. I really like the floor sweeps and flex hose from Penn State and the blast gates from Lee Valley (they are a little pricier but never clog).

Here's a few shots of my progress thus far. I've run out of fittings and Lowes won't have then till next weekend so I'm starting on the enclosure today. As usually happens with my projects I've made some changes to my original layout based on some suggestions from you folks and a lack of forethought on my part.

Brian

East wall
    20140329_174820_DxO.jpg
    West wall
    20140329_174845_DxO.jpg
    East wall
    20140329_174931_DxO.jpg
    Speedy starter ring for 9" HVAC duct
    20140329_174955_DxO.jpg
    4" reducing wye for TS over the blade
    20140329_175058_DxO.jpg
    Blue tape on floor shows where the TS will go

Bandsaw and 6x80 sander ducting (not complete)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Brian Hale; 03-30-2014 at 7:27 AM.
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

Can you explain the "speedy starter ring" photo? Are you referring to the black fitting that connects your cyclone intake to the PVC? I searched Lowes and the internet for that term and came up empty.

Nice photos. I'm just learning sketchup and am impressed with your shop layout images too. Did you import duct and other images for your shop layout?

Thanks.

Brian

Yes, the black PVC starter adapter on the exhaust is what I'm referring to. I posted a link above to Amazon and I really like them, good price and quite sturdy. As for Sketchup, I imported several items like some duct work and machines but drew up many myself if they weren't already out there in the "warehouse"...

The photos were taken with my phone (with some work in DXO Optics Pro) and they're a bit distorted but serve to get the point across

Brian