Thread: choices of outboard turning attacments

choices of outboard turning attacments

I have a PM 3520b and have decided on either a Vicmarc or a Robust. Both articulate and the robust is more expensive.My question is:Any tutorials out there[i checked mustard monster] that would walk me through adapting and attaching to my lathe.Or someone that has done it, and wouldn't mind some email,text,phone communication to help and or problems to avoid.I would like to make a bowl 20"-24" deep let's use that as a criteria as to choice as well. Thanks Rob

I have recently bought a VicMarc VL300 lathe and the outboard attachment for it. I can attest to the fact that the outboard attachment is STURDY! The swing capacity exceeds 48" swing, which is more than I will ever need. Now I will add that I recently unbolted my outboard and flipped it around so the "hinge post" is on the right instead of the left. Reason for this was that now I can position the outboard tool rest to right beside the chuck and now I have a secondary banjo! Having it on the right side wont hinder me from any large outboard turning either.

Question though, you say you want to be able to turn a 20-24" DEEP bowl. How big of a diameter? That 3520 will easily do a bowl that deep and up to 19 1/2" diameter (practical size over the ways), with a sliding headstock to turn off the end of the lathe.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

Have you checked the PM standard extension. Mine is solid as a rock (30") and also allows longer deep boring rigs to be used. A bit pricey if I recall.