Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Buying electrical tools

I'm a big fan of using Probemaster DMM leads, the 8000 series.

It's handy to have the extra accessories that Probemaster sells, sometimes it's like having an extra hand. The set is about $35 (shipped).

Bill

Before you buy any meter, find out if there’s a requirement for Cat III/ Cat IV ratings where you work. Also some places may not allow the use of Wiggies as there’s some doubt if they satisfy the OSHA zero volt measurement, and some have ignored the duty cycle rating.

Consider usability too. With my trifocals I found a backlit display was an absolute need.

Before I retired, I speced out and bought the meters for the Instrument shop. When I started in the ordering business we bought Fluke 8060A meters. When those were discontinued we went with the Fluke 187 meters. When those were discontinued I looked at the 287 (really cool meter) but the size was such that I couldn’t see using one on a ladder. I ended up choosing the Fluke 88-V. Excellent meter but pricey.

At home I use a Etcon brand Wiggie (a buck at a garage sale) and a Triplett 310-C I bought new in 1984.

My backup meter? A PSM-6. That should bring back memories for some here, dunno if they’ll be good ones. No I don’t have a digital meter at home, haven’t had a need for one.

I don’t count the Heathkit IM-28 VTVM I built when I was 16. It rarely gets turned on. It’s screwed to my workbench riser just for looks.

-Tom Stenzel