Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Making a Guitar Rack

Shawn,
    Do you have humidity control in the cabinet?

I have a cabinet I made that will store 32 guitars. I broke 2 fingers in a fall a few days ago and do not feel like taking pictures yet,but will eventually. It has a top and bottom section. It stores guitars 4 across and 4 deep in each section.

I built it so that I could assemble the sections in place. Otherwise,it'd be too large to get into the house!! I put UV protection film on the glassed ends of the case. It was set between 2 windows in the last house,where I designed it to fit.

It doesn't live in a beautiful cabinet but this inspires me to tune up the old D-28 for a spin on the WALL OF DEATH.

Blog Entries
    Right now I don't have humidity control. Typically 360+ days per year, our humidity is between 30 -70 rh at 65-75 degrees F.

The Santa Ana winds are the challenge when the outside humidity is down below 10%, I put in a couple of soundhole humidifiers. I have looked into a humidification system that my brother uses. He tunes pianos, restores and sells high end pianos (Bosendorfers, Steinway, etc...). Recently he hase taken up building and repairing banjos. We trade work periodically. He lives in Mesa Arizona, so he has much more challenge with humidification than I.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Julie, thanks for starting this thread.
    As musicians we lust after equipment to play and then hide them in closets, cases and so on.
    Shawn's pictures of his "storage cabinet" have given a whole new perspective on how to store Axes. Besides guitars, I need an area for Saxes and Harmonicas as well.
    Good luck on your upcoming project, I'm subscribing.
    Thanks again.
    Last edited by Russ Abbott; 11-23-2014 at 8:25 AM. Reason: spelling correction