Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Curse Free Shipping

Curse Free Shipping

I am fully aware that I am blaming Lee Valley Free Shipping that started today, and not my stupid impulses that made me buy a set of their PM-V11 chisels and the new chisel roll. Ohh well, there goes my tool budget for the year. And it's only March. But seriously guys, please someone join in and save on shipping and make me feel better that I am not the only one buying stuff I desperately want, but don't "need".

I am now going to go sit in a corner of my office and contemplate what I just did .

Quote Originally Posted by Cory Waldrop View Post
    Lee Valley Free Shipping that started today.
    Noooo! I have been resisting the PM-V11 butt chisels, but apparently resistance is futile.
    AKA - "The human termite"

Free shipping!@%$#! Curse you Lee Valley! I am having enough trouble resisting the 1/8" and 3/16" PM-V11 chisels . . . .must . . . not . . . give . . . in . . . .
    No, the sky is not falling - just chunks of it are.

Now I have to wait about a month to get them because they are out of stock. I guess this is part of my punishment

Next time anyone wants a free shipping event, just let me know.

I will place a large order with them and within 2 days, they will offer free shipping. It is like washing your car and rain for me, every time!

/p

Try living near a Lee Valley store... Free shipping is only a few times a year at least. I have to fight my tool addictions every day!!!

I usually order several small items that I do need, just not yesterday, e.g. included the miniature router plane this time. Shipping cost is the only thing I don't love about LV, the price vs weight calculation; so it gives me great joy all around to order during these events.

My order will be going in shortly. Been waiting for those 1/8 and 3/16 chisels to complete the set.

Thanks a lot... forcing me to buy stuff... *grumble grumble*

Thanks to *YOU*, I mean.... the free shipping , I just bought my first set of chisels (Narex Classic Bevel-Edge set, and a 1/4" Narex mortise) and a Veritas MKII honing guide.

I first read that as "curse-free" shipping as opposed to Curse "Free shipping"

John... That is funny. Reading it the two ways surely puts a different spin on the meaning. I will clarify that I do not claim to know everyone's shipping will be "curse free", but I do know that LV customer support will most likely help you out if needed .

Bob... Ohh poor you, you have a store you can walk into and handle all LV tools whenever you want. Kidding aside, I am sure it is way more difficult not to buy stuff when you can go try it out and pick it up that day. I feel for you and your checkbook.

Eric... I was just reading your other thread and saw that you posted here. Funny how that works. The MKII honing guide works pretty well. It is a little squirly on narrow chisels, but with some practice it is not bad at all. Funny enough, I tend to sharpen more freehand now so I also purchased one of the simple side clamping honing guides to give a try and if I like it, I will consider selling my MKII. A jig is handy for re-setting the bevel angle after multiple sharpenings but I am not sure I need all the bells and whistles the MKII offers.

Looks like I will not have to wait a month to get my chisels. It looks like they had 5 of the 7 in stock already and will be heading this way shortly. Yay for that. I can wait a while for 2 chisels as long as I have 5 others to play with in the meantime.

Cory, I figure the MKII will get me on the right path and I'll be able to be more consistent when I sharpen chisels and plane blades. Once I feel more confident or have the initial bevel set properly, I'll consider doing some freehand sharpening.

I already got a notice stating that my package was ready to ship. All of my items were in stock. Woohoo!

Those chisels look very good. How do they compare to the others like Lie Nielsen? Free shipping can be a curse at times. Makes us into wild savages for hand tools.

I always find it funny when I sort of impulse-buy more stuff to hit the free shipping minimum, to save what, the 8 bucks extra in shipping I would have payed had I just ordered that one under-fourty dollar thing? I have a few things that have never been taken out of the bag because I mostly thought they'd be useful, and by spending an extra 30 bucks or so, I saved 8!

One time I also had a large amount to spend in gift certificates, and had put together a rather expensive order. My wife thought it was funny that I kept putting off pulling the trigger to save the 14 bucks in shipping it would have been, which was a fraction of the total spent.
    " Be willing to make mistakes in your basements, garages, apartments and palaces. I have made many. Your first attempts may be poor. They will not be futile. " - M.S. Bickford, Mouldings In Practice

That free shipping got me too...
    I ordered a set of the Narex Classic Bevel Edge chisels, a couple of Narex mortising chisels, and a Carcass saw filed rip. I will be waiting with bated breath for their arrival as I am excited to replace some beater chisels and a cheap saw I've been using.

Still thinking about pulling the trigger on a couple of hand planes, specifically a BUS and LAB.