Thread: Mess in the Dust Collector Closet

Mess in the Dust Collector Closet

I have been doing a lot more woodworking lately than ever before (a good thing, right?) My dust collector is located in a closet adjacent to the shop, and I have never noticed this much sawdust collecting in that area. The bottom bag on the Grizzly is not nearly full. Is this normal, or should I check for something that might be wrong? Thanks!

Jerry
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks like ya got a leak somewhere. What top filter are ya usin'?
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Hmph, I've got more dust in my coffee cup before it's half empty.

Plus 1 on leaks. Check all your connections. Watch your collector power up, You may see a puff of dust from somewhere
    Last edited by johnny means; 03-19-2014 at 7:43 PM.

What is the bag? If it is a standard 30 micron, then it is normal to have dust all over. Horrible, but normal.

The bag is whatever came standard with the unit. I don't know about the filter. Think I will take it apart tomorrow and check it out, then put it back together. It has not had much use for the past few years, as I have been on a woodworking hiatus. The fires are re-kindled, so I need to get this fixed ASAP!! Thanks for the replies!

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Herrington View Post
    or should I check for something that might be wrong? Thanks!
    Umm. That's what I would do.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Blog Entries
    My guess is that those are chip bags, not dust bags. Typical of earlier models. I agree with Wade.
    NOW you tell me...

Well, I took the lower bag off tonight and emptied it. Used the shop vac to clean out the inner surface of the upper bag, put it back together and turned it on. Air leak where the nut/screw tighten the lower bag strap. Think I'll put a strip of inner tube behind it to seal it up.

As far as the bags go, maybe I need dust bags instead of what I have (chip bags?) The unit is close to 20 years old, so maybe I have chip bags. I have been working with Ipe and Abaco, which produce very fine dust. Maybe that's why the problem surfaced only recently. Never had much dust in the collector closet before.

Pardon my ignorance. I am basically an old woodworker who has become a newbie because of a long hiatus.

you could add a dust deputy to it

Assuming you have plain cloth bags, and I think thats all there were 20 years ago, something like this will make a big improvement.
    http://www.rockler.com/shaker-felt-dust-collection-bags
    Something like this will be much better
    http://wynnenv.com/woodworking-filters/

Cloth bags leak dust. Older cloth bags leak more dust that newer bags. The state of dust collection has changed significantly over the years. I would call the folks at Wynn and get a canister filter for the top and a plastic bag for the bottom.

Hopefully Wynn will be at the Houston Woodworking Show next weekend. I will check it out.

Wait, WHAT? Houston Woodworking show in March 2014? Son of a bugger I missed hearing about that! I am busy that weekend!

Yeah, I would definately upgrade that DC to Wynn filters / plastic lower bag, and add a Thien separator so that you don't end up with this, or worse, have that dust in your breathing air!
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

David, don't worry. You didn't miss anything. The show was cancelled!