Thread: Quick Peppermill finish

Quick Peppermill finish

The woodturning club I belong to has asked me to teach a class on making peppermills. It is a one-day class and I would like them to be able to put a finish on them so they have finished product when they leave. The mills will be turned out of maple. I usually put CA on the mills I make, but there is no way I am going to try to teach them that. What would you suggest for a finish?
    Thanks, Bob V.

2. For speed in drying and a nice looking finish, I would recommend General Finishes, Woodturners Finish. It will dry in about 5 minutes in room temperature and additional coats added in about 8-10 minutes.......the finish will build, and after about 3 coats, sand back lightly and add your final coat........makes a beautiful finish.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Rattle can Krylon Crystal Clear

In a class room setting, I would recommend the Woodturners Finish too, either General finishes or Behlen. No troublesome fumes.

Hi Bob,
    Good luck with the class session, it is always fun to do hands on classes.
    I would also consider Minwax Tung Oil. It will not dry in 5 min, but there will be time to put two coats on and the students can keep adding coats at home. Use 0000 steel wool between the last coats and it will make a really good pepper mill finish.
    Peter F.

Nick Cook did a pepermill demo for our symposium a few years back. He used walnut oil and frictioned it in with a paper towell. While not a high build film finish, it is a decent finish for a kitchen object that can be applied in a few minutes during a demo. The mills he turned were subsequently sold at the symposium auction, and the potential bidders given a notice that additional finish might need/could be applied.

I was at Pike's Market in Seattle last year, and there was a guy selling Salt shakers with matching pepper mills. The finish was incredible on the pieces and looked almost like acrylic plastic (and I say that as a compliment). I asked him what he used, and it was rattle can automotive clear coat bought at any auto parts store. I have tried to duplicate the finish and so far have not reached 'perfection' on it, but I know it can be done (might take a few coats). Something to toss out there as an idea.