Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The Woodwright Shop quality

Doing a 20 minute show in what seems to be one take and to actually produce something is amazing. I love watching his shows except for when the CHris Schwartz shows up - he is the annoying one IMO. If it weren't for Roy I'd be like Norm. Roy adds balance to my woodworking

When you watch a TV show, any TV show, alwas remember that it is TV, not real life.
    What about the Original Star Trek ?
    Don't tell me that's not real !
    Huh ? Huh ?
    Yah seeeeeee.
    I got you there.
    Sharpening is Facetating.
    Good enough is good enough
    But
    Better is Better.

FWIW dept. I watch Roy when I can, I actually learn from his mistakes as well as my own. As one who has done both Hand tool WWing and Blacksmithing demos for the public and other Smiths and WWers, and both trades while before cameras. I have found out that I do better if I just pretend the cameras are not rolling and I just do what I usually do. At most of the Living History and other shows, basically what they want is for you to talk intelligently to the people and explain things if asked. I always learn something from the older generation, who after standing for awhile and watching me and finding out I know what I am talking about will open up and explain to me how their father or grandfather etc. did something.
    Jr.
    Hand tools are very modern- they are all cordless
    NORMAL is just a setting on the washing machine.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
    By Hammer and Hand All Arts Do Stand

Pedro,

Jim Kingshot's (sp?) videos a lot, wish there were more out there.

Here, here !
    Me too !

I really enjoy Norm a lot. his rhythm and over all presentation is really great. PROFESSIONAL !

Of course I always wished he would do more hand tool stuff and realize he can but that is not his TV thing.

Heck I wouldn't even know about Winterthur if it wasn't for Norm and his micro field trips during the show.

He even showed the Studdly tool chest in one of his micro field trips.

I really like Norm and recommend his little book "measure twice cut once". I think it was from him I learn the WHOLE saying :

Think THRICE, measure TWICE, cut ONCE.

I have read a ton of David Charlesworth, books and mags, but never seen a vid.
    Something to look forward to sounds like. Thanks for reminding me.
    Sharpening is Facetating.
    Good enough is good enough
    But
    Better is Better.

I've not met Roy or seen any of his actual work in person. However, Frank Klausz respects Roy's work. That's good enough for me.

I personally enjoy watching his show. I like the older episodes more than the recent ones and, unfortunately, didn't get to see too many as I'm only 35 and my interest in woodworking didn't start until about 8 years ago. My hand tool specific journey didn't start until about 3 years ago.

That being said, I'm sure that Roy's contribution to modern hand tool woodworking and history can be appreciated by everyone. He probably works in the pine to save money. I've often thought that looks easy in pine, but he's also on a PBS channel. I'm guessing there's a budget. He's done a lot to improve the knowledge of woodworking and hand tools though, wouldn't you say?

I think some of my favorite episodes are when he tours places. Was it Thomas Jefferson's home that he toured during some renovation? Those episodes are very interesting to me. Also the African instrument episodes are fun. I need to make a kalimba (sp?).
    USMC '97-'01

I agree that seeing work demonstrated in soft pine can make the work go faster and easier and be seen as misleading.BUT
    when north Eastern white pine started to be "imported " into the South the workers had no problem with the reality that their work would be faster and easier.

Reading this thread reminds me of the behind-the-scene peek my neighborhood KFC occasionally affords local customers regarding television production. Sometimes you’ll walk in and they’re filming a commercial. You can tell because the regular staff has been replaced by the “pretty people”. They’ll have one each: Caucasian, Black, Hispanic, Asian, etc. Sometimes they’ll even repaint the building exterior to support a particular theme—whatever it takes to get the point across.

They don’t mind questions from the gallery or at least they’re polite about it. And we don’t mind asking questions: It’s 2:30 PM and I'll ask the producer, “How long ya been here?” “Since 9:00 AM.” “How long will this commercial last?” “Fifteen seconds!”, and we’ll stay until we get it right! That’s a typical response.

My point is, don’t be knockin’ Roy for imperfect joints. Roy’s on public TV and he doesn’t do dress rehearsals.

I skipped past this thread several times, but since it's still alive and well, I thought I'd add my own comments and feelings....especially after having a couple days to simmer down.

I challenge anyone with a negative opinion of Roy Underhill to just try and do better with 22 minutes to get the message across, and be interesting to most of the watchers, and get it all right in one take. Oh, yeah, and do it all for 30 years straight, and running. That show is as responsible for the resurgence in hand tool woodworking and the marketing of hand tools as any other entity in the world of woodworking today.

The show isn't about cutting dainty dovetails that are slim and perfect. He rifle's through the part where tool actually meets wood, often with predictable results. What's important is the showing of the process, as well as the different tools and techniques that can be used to accomplish the different tasks. There's always more than one way to do anything in woodworking, and Roy frequently gives options, based on the simple tool kit you may have at hand. He does it all quickly, and without any re-takes, often bloodying himself in the process. In fact, if you were juvenile enough, you could probably sit down with a bottle of bourbon and, while watching a Woodwrights Shop marathon, create a drinking game for every time he bloodies himself, do a shop. You wouldn't be able to stand after a few shows.

Just the fact that this topic is even being discussed proves that success of the show.

There are many, many more capable woodworkers around, and Roy will be the first one to admit that, as he has several times in interviews and books. However, I challenge, once again, anyone to do what he has done for hand tool woodworking, and keep it interesting and funny (at times), and keep it going on the air for 30 plus years. Good luck with that!

I often wonder how many people in North America have an interest in woodworking, and perform the craft on any level, professional or otherwise, simply because they saw Roy or Norm on tv. It really irks the living heck out of me when I see them getting bashed for it. Just imagine if the only place you could get furniture from in today's world is from Wicks, Walmart, or Ikea.

I cringe at the thought.......

Disclaimer: I don't know Roy, and have never met him, other than being in a circle of woodworkers having a chat one time at a show.
    Last edited by Dave Anderson NH; 03-21-2014 at 12:10 PM. Reason: removed objectionable language
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Heath View Post
    It really irks the living heck out of me when I see them getting bashed for it.
    I don't know why folks not appreciating roy's show as much as some folks do and actually stating that they don't would create a big problem. A lot of us aren't aiming to do the kind of woodworking or toolmaking or whatever that roy does on his show and it doesn't resonate with us. I can't think of anything woodworking that resonates with me that's on "regular" TV, but I don't expect that people should share my opinion nor get cranked up angry when they don't share mine.

I did really like it as a kid when I wasn't a woodworker, which makes me think that it has just as much potential or more with non-woodworkers than it does woodworkers. It allows non-woodworkers to practice some level of idealistic escapism.

It's their choice to program the show the way they want, though, and everyone else's right to have an opinion of what they do or don't like about it.

Well I have not watched much of Roy but he is one of the reasons why I started woodworking for fun again. I stumbled across the episode where he has Chris Schwarz on and discusses the tool chest. It was nice to watch a show that was free to access and watch people who enjoyed what they are doing.

I also liked how he gave the guest lots of room to showcase why they were on the show.

I don't think your ever going to have a whole show on Rolls Royce style furniture making and from my perspective things like the Woodwrights Shop and presenters like Roy offer a pleasing and interesting contrast.

+1 to the woodwright school as well as the store above it. well worth the time for a visit.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Samuels View Post
    I've been to Roy's school twice in Pittsboro, NC. He is an excellent instructor who is happy to give encouragement to some of us new neanderthals. I agree with others that he can do very detailed work when he has the time. A 20 minute show just doesn't give him enough time. On top of all the education received through his school, he is always entertaining.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Haydon View Post

I don't think your ever going to have a whole show on Rolls Royce style furniture making
    Yeah, the format makes it hard - nobody is going to watch week to week in volume, and that kind of content can be delivered on youtube instead (like the super fantastic series that curtis buchanan put on youtube). that resonates with me a lot more, and probably some others. The format is superior and Curtis's delving into the details and matter of fact delivery is something I can appreciate a lot more.

Blog Entries
    I think in order to reach a decent amount of woodworkers, one has to be interesting to more than just one specific sect. I know he covers topics from timber framing to tool making, that's a pretty broad range, so I appreciate that he isn't going to be a master in every situation.

If a show existed where they built one piece of furniture in a season and covered every micro topic relevant to the piece, I would find it interesting, but I'm not sure that I would remain interested enough to watch. Voyeurism has little interest to me, I would rather pick up the tools myself and get to work.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Blog Entries
    I do not recall ever spending the time to watch his program without coming away with some "new" knowledge or insight.

I am sure he has made a better living off of his woodworking abilities than many of us.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)