Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Any thoughts on living next to a high tension power line?

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    Just hope they don't fall your way in a severe ice storm. I wouldn't be concerned with the EMF, but aesthetics and the buzz during humid weather would be an issue for me. As far as property value, just make sure the asking price has already fully discounted the effect of the proximity of the lines. I have seen new subs put in which straddled 120 kv transmission lines and one sub had also had twin 30" and 36" high pressure gas lines 60 feet from one house setback line (over my objections an the township engineer). I talked to a gas company rep and he said that they were safe, but when pressured, said he wouldn't want his daughter living closer than a couple hundred yards.
    I looked at one house that was next to a major county road. It was oddly situated on a very large triangle shaped lot. I called city hall to ask about the laws for parking an RV because they are confusing. The zoning person offered to send me a PDF of the survey for the property. It turns out not only was there an easement for the power lines along the county road, but there was also a wide easement for natural gas lines. The house was situated oddly because that was the only place with no easements. I had hoped I could build an outbuilding on the open space, but that wasn't going to happen so I gave up on that house.

The lot I looked at with the high tension line is heavily discounted as the next cheapest lot for sale is almost $100,000 more. $30,000 for an acre lot with city sewer in a large metro area is a bargain. The power line is only on the back half of the lot since the line turns 90 degrees at that pole.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    Deriving power from high energy T&D lines does work and it is very common. Power companies have a way to detect theft of electricity from coils hidden underground, I participated in a management seminar which included a presentation that outlined all of the common practices people use to obtain free energy. The presentation also included innovative ways people use to tap into their neighbors power and believe me people can be very innovative. Nobody in the industry will admit that this happens for obvious reasons.
    Keith,

The ROI is too low here in my opinion.

https://user.physics.unc.edu/~deardo...psolution.html

I think I would just continue to pay the power company extortion money.....
    Shenhui SH-G690 Laser
    Shark Pro CNC Router
    G0619/SX3 CNC Milling Machine
    Vytek Rebel CNC Router (Mach3 Conversion)
    Rostock MAX 3D Printer
    NextEngine 3D HD Scanner
    Epson Stylus Pro 9880 Printer
    Mighty Press Transfer Press
    Chinese Laminator

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Phillips View Post
    Keith,

The ROI is too low here in my opinion.

I think I would just continue to pay the power company extortion money.....
    Thanks for posting that link. Good explanation.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    The next cheapest lot is further away and twice the price at $60k.
    There's your answer.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    Shenanigans.
    This sounds ridiculous.

If the Power Company owns the air around the lines, and all that's in it - I'm a Doctor of Brainatrics.

How a remote coil that works of the EMF generated would be a load falls with the square of the distance.
    I would very much like to see a citation of what sounds like a "Rural legend".

The best part of that link is this:
    3) How must the farmer have positioned and oriented the coil in order to most effectively achieve his goal?

The coil should be positioned as close as possible to the transmission line since the magnetic field is inversely proportional to the distance from the line, and the coil should be oriented upright in a vertical plane aligned with the transmission line to maximize the magnetic flux from the magnetic field lines that encircle the transmission line.
    As I mentioned in my first post, the amount of mutual inductance of a coil buried in the ground would be extremely titchy, which pretty much blows away any story of a farmer burying coils in the ground. Even if it was oriented vertically up one of the towers, it's still a relatively trivial amount of electricity.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5