Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What did/will you buy from Lee Valley during Free Shipping?

What did/will you buy from Lee Valley during Free Shipping?

Time to confess; what purchased did or will you make from Lee Valley during the free shipping campaign that expires at the end of the month? I am eyeing the DX60. Like the big brother but don't think the extra $100 is justified. They ought to do some research and see how much sales increase during free shipping periods. Perhaps they already have and offer free shipping during periods when orders historically dwindle during the year.

I'm thinking that I will order one of the BU smoother planes. Torn between the SBUS and a larger one that Winton likes. Also the honing guide and a lead screw and handle to add a leg vice to my bench

Nothing. I'm trying to buy only when/what I need these days.

Blog Entries
    Been waiting for free shipping to get a few things.

A set of spoon bits.

A Haida #11 Carver's knife

A 8000 slip stone

A few small add ons and a spare part.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Picked up my first set of chisels! I got the set of four Narex Classic Bevel-Edge chisels and a single Narex mortise chisel. Of course, I couldn't get chisels with no way to sharpen them, so I also got the Veritas MKII honing guide. Can't wait! UPS says they should arrive on Monday.

Same thing as the last time....nothing. Rather go out and Rust Hunt..

1/8" PM-V11 chisel

Couple of PM-V11 chisels, including the 1/8".

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Just ordered a couple of PM-V11 irons and chip breakers for my Stanley 5-1/4 and 4-1/2. Oh, and the Vice Stop Rack thingy.

Maybe a turning tool or 2 but probably nothing this time..Rob has gotten plenty of my money already though and he's likely to get plenty more so its all good.
    Last edited by Chris Griggs; 03-22-2014 at 10:23 PM.
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

Maybe I missed it but do you have a lathe for those turning tools Chris?

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Shea View Post
    Maybe I missed it but do you have a lathe for those turning tools Chris?
    You didn't miss anything...I haven't mentioned it on the forum yet. Sure do....as of last weekend. When Paul and I were driving to PATINA last weekend I mentioned that I was thinking of making a pole lathe, but might also be keeping my eye out for an inepensive mini/midi lathe. Turns out he had a Rikon mini lathe with a NOVA chuck that he didn't use anymore (he has an AMAZING vintage Oliver in his shop). So anyway, I bought it from him for a very nice price, took it home with me has soon as we got back from PATINA. He included a few tools with it too (1" roughing gouge, 1" skew, parting tool and spear point beading tool), and I've been turning silly things all week (magic wands and vampire stakes and a mallet) just for practice. I've never had a lathe before and has only tried turning briefly previously, so I've been having a lot of fun figuring it out and just making dumb little things. I thought it would he harder but the learning curve..at least for basic stuff...is pretty short, so there a lot fo immediate gratification.

I might pick up a small detail spindle gouge and 3/4 skew. I really like using the skew a lot...and think I be happy to use a 3/4" for just about everything....just for practice I turned the vampire stake (3rd pic) with nothing but the 1" skew Paul included...still getting some catches but am getting pretty comfortable with it and its such a great tool and can do so much.

IMG_20140319_211453_280.jpg IMG_20140318_205719_429.jpg IMG_20140321_074623_522.jpg

I think I am going to still make a pole lather though. On Zach Ds recommendation I picked up Roys "The Woodwrights Guide" which has a nice pole lathe plan. Paul and I might make one for each of us once we finish my bench.
    Last edited by Chris Griggs; 03-23-2014 at 1:53 PM.
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

Still working on the cart. First item is a left handed Shooting Plane to go with the right handed one I bought and loved. We have several reproduction reeded mantles to build with lots of little reeded parts that fit together at different angles.

I pulled the trigger on the full 7 piece PM-V11 chisels, the 3-D knit chisel roll, and I am going to give the side clamping honing guide a try.

I got nothing. Chris Griggs sent me some ebay links and made me spend all of my money.