Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: What did/will you buy from Lee Valley during Free Shipping?

I finally broke down and grabbed the router plane and the inlay cutterhead, just in case I actually decide to make something. I also bought the Miller Dowel kit to try.

I didn't want to spend this type of money on a rasp but from everyone's recommendations I decided to fork over the money. My purchases:

-Auriou 10", 9 Grain Rasp
    -Japanese 8" Flat File
    -Aux File/Rasp Handle

Used the rasp last night to round off some edges and it was quite impressive, fast cutting and leaving a very nice finish.

Quote Originally Posted by John Sanford View Post
    I'm a bit annoyed with the pricing on the 7 piece set. I purchased the 5 piece set, and now I'm looking at spending $24 more to get the two narrow ones individually. grrrr....

I understand John. I thought about only buying a few sizes, but when I did the math, it just made more sense to buy the set. I basically ended up getting 7 for the price of 6 with the per chisel savings. I can see how someone who purchased the 5 piece set would be miffed that they don't get the same deal.

Awesome chisels though. I spent the night making a registration jig for my side clamping honing guide and reground the primary bevels on all of them to match the angel my registration jig gives me. It was only off by a degree or two at most, so it didnt take long. I flattened the back of the 1" chisel and will be working on the other 4 I have to do the same. They really feel substantial and well balanced in the hand.

Not as exciting as most on here but got the feather weight fret saw, a coping saw, blades for each and a PM-V11 cap and iron for a Stanley no. 3 that I've been wanting to rehab.
    Harmony is the strength and support of all institutions, especially this of ours.

Cory,

I haven't actually used them yet, but I have been handling them extensively this last week as I've been working on a new set of holders form them on my "backwall" unit. I also have one of the Stanley New Sweethearts, nice steel, but I much prefer the handles of the PM-V11s. Like you said, substantial and well balanced in the hand.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

I picked up some hinges and a set of the Parallel Tip Woodworkers Screwdrivers. While beautiful, I was unimpressed with the screwdrivers. The tips didn't fit screws very well and one promptly exploded on me during the second use. They went back in the mail yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by Casey Gooding View Post
    I picked up some hinges and a set of the Parallel Tip Woodworkers Screwdrivers. While beautiful, I was unimpressed with the screwdrivers. The tips didn't fit screws very well and one promptly exploded on me during the second use. They went back in the mail yesterday.
    Unless you only want wooden handled screwdrivers, your best bet from LV is this:

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...=1,43411,43417

They come with life-time warranty, but so far, after more than a year of use in my shop, none has been replaced.

The Parallel Tip screwdrivers are imported (from?) and so are the above ones (from Taiwan, I believe), but the latter has proven the best value screwdrivers in my shop.

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by Casey Gooding View Post
    That's a bummer. Return them and get the Grace screwdrivers. I never thought I could like a screwdrivers so much, or even care what screwdriver I was using until I got those. I have the slot and the phillips, and like them so much I'm going to get the square ones too.

The largest one make a nice chipbreaker/plane tote & knob screw/frog screw driver and the smallest is great for the set screws on LV planes.
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

The Grace screwdrivers are awesome - I got them back when The Best Things was first offering them. My only complaint is the largest sizes are longer than I care for. I love the saw-nut screwdriver as well for my old disstons with the narrow screws.

I finally caved at the last minute today and ordered a gift for my dad and then ended up including the steel lapping plate, too. Just having it already machined flat and not having to track down something locally was worth it. I've still got a couple of old tools that need the backs helped out a little - if it gets me through a couple of blades easier than sandpaper has done in the past, it's payed for itself in my book. Now I just need to pick up some SiC or diamond.
    " Be willing to make mistakes in your basements, garages, apartments and palaces. I have made many. Your first attempts may be poor. They will not be futile. " - M.S. Bickford, Mouldings In Practice

I finally cracked and got the skew rabbet plane, surface vise and some milk paint.

The narrow PM-V11 chisels, and 3 pair of German lab goggles.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

Chris Griggs provides and evil influence. Purchased the Grace Screwdrivers, DX 60 Block Plane (friend took my block plane), and Bevel-Up Smoothing Plane PM-V11. Waited until the end and was strong.....then faltered.

I finally got the BUJ I have been after and after all the plow talk around here I pulled the trigger on a small plow too. If I buy any more tools anytime soon my wife may make me sleep in the shop.

My will power broke and I got a large router plane and 14 tpi dovetail saw.

I know there are more who succumbed in the wee hours. At least we know we are not alone.