Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: What did/will you buy from Lee Valley during Free Shipping?

RH Skew Plane

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Riddle View Post
    Time to confess; what purchased did or will you make from Lee Valley during the free shipping campaign that expires at the end of the month? I am eyeing the DX60. Like the big brother but don't think the extra $100 is justified. They ought to do some research and see how much sales increase during free shipping periods. Perhaps they already have and offer free shipping during periods when orders historically dwindle during the year.
    This will round out my starting set
    Vaya con Dios

I jumped in for some of the Dubuque clamps. Been awhile since they were talked about on here. Used them for a glue up last night, and they're fantastic. I have a few Harbor Freight jobs that I did the Paul Sellers treatment on... No way. Going to throw them out and save my pennies for more of the Dubuques. The Dubuques are head-and-shoulders above other bar clamps of this style. Light and easy to get in position, sturdy construction. And freeeeeee shipping!

After parting with two LN planes I had the funds to purchase the Veritas shooting plane. Can't say I regret this. I've tried other planes for shooting but this one is the complete deal. Well though out features and the skewed cutter I believe makes this a winner. I did add the right side fence to capture the plane in its track.

I bought a Henry Taylor gouge, a file / rasp cleaning brush, and some brass screws. The cool thing was I had the stuff in my cart before I realized it was free shipping. Bonus!

There's been some talk of screwdrivers on thread. Has anyone tried the "parallel-tip screwdrivers" Lee Valley has in their catalog? I like the way they look, but I'm wondering how they perform compared to the Grace screwdrivers. I'm going to need to replace the hodgepodge collection I use to strip screws with one of these days...

EDIT: never mind - I guess I missed the few pages of this thread that talk about the comparison between the two. I'll replace the parallel-tip screwdrivers with the grace ones in my wishlist.
    Last edited by Christian Thompson; 04-02-2014 at 4:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    I'm thinking that I will order one of the BU smoother planes. Torn between the SBUS and a larger one that Winton likes. Also the honing guide and a lead screw and handle to add a leg vice to my bench
    My order showed up today. Thank you Lee Valley fr the prompt shipment. Everything looks great. I can hardly wait to get the new plane setup. Its sitting on my dinner table right now while I admire it with my supper. LOL

Folks, you know the unwritten rule. If you don't post pictures then it didn't happen. I can envision Pat's plane sitting across the dinner table ....

Really bad phone pic just to prove it happened. Happy guy....

2014-04-03 10.46.15.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by john davey View Post
    I finally cracked and got the skew rabbet plane, surface vise and some milk paint.

Quote Originally Posted by john davey View Post
    Really bad phone pic just to prove it happened. Happy guy....

2014-04-03 10.46.15.jpg
    You are really going to love having that plane. It just makes cutting rabbets so darn quick and easy. There is a little bit...and I do me little bit...of a learning curve for setup an use to get good square rabbets (with any fillister), but this thing just makes setup so easy and it holds its setting so well so once you get everything where you want it it keeps the setting the next time you take the blade in and out. Make sure you watch their marketing video on this one. Vic does a good job of going through basic setup and use.
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

Thanks Chris, I will watch the vid. Since I am working from home today I plan on hitting the basement for a little test session with it at lunch

Blog Entries
    Bought a noce little veneer saw and 8 hinges that will be used on LOML's jewelry cabinet.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Received my Small Plow Plane and Magnetic Vise jaw liners about an hour ago. The plane looks like a precision-made instrument but have not yet tried it. Maybe my first project will be a box for it and it's blades.

It's play time now.

Here is proof of a couple of things:

1. Purchase and Delivery of the block plane, bottom-up smoother, and screwdrivers.
    2. What I call the Griggs factor - the influence of other woodworkers on our tool purchasing habits.

1.jpg

Added a picture of my new toys, er tools....yes tools, not toys, thats right.

LVBUS_Plane.jpg

Hoping to get started this weekend.

PS - Last night the wine glass had a nice Pinot Noir to help me celebrate the package delivery safe and sound. Unfortunately that's all gone now.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    Added a picture of my new toys, er tools....yes tools, not toys, thats right.

LVBUS_Plane.jpg

Hoping to get started this weekend.

PS - Last night the wine glass had a nice Pinot Noir to help me celebrate the package delivery safe and sound. Unfortunately that's all gone now.
    Pat, we purchased identical planes. What blade option did you select? Not sure the wife would allow hand planes on the dining room table though.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Riddle View Post
    Pat, we purchased identical planes. What blade option did you select? Not sure the wife would allow hand planes on the dining room table though.
    Shhhhhhhhhhh! Its OK - its sitting on a nice big cork trivet or whatever she calls it.

I got the PM-V11 blade, 38 deg.